Thread: Ridiculously scared of dentists - probably need to go tomorrow

Unhappy Ridiculously scared of dentists - probably need to go tomorrow

Heheh, I'm venturing out of the symptoms subforum - didn't realise NMP had this much space! I hope I'm posting in the right spot.

Anyway, for as long as I remember I've had a fear of doctors and anything medical really. But as most people are, I'm EXTRA scared of dentists. The thing is - I HAVE had extensive stuff done on my teeth. I had root canals done. I have a fake tooth put in. I've even had an abscessed tooth where half of my mouth had to be cut open! I've literally had the whole shabang done and I'm still horrified to the bone!!

I think I have to go to one tomorrow or the day after though :( I had one of my upper premolars filled a year ago, during the checkup the dentist said we may have to do a root canal but we might be ok with just a filling. Came back for the procedure all shaking like a leaf, thankfully only a filling was done. Nice and strong, don't see any cracks in it, pretty happy overall But now after coming down with some seasonal bacteria, I think that tooth's nerve(s) may have to go. It's not sensitive when I bite with the tooth, but I have a lingering dull ache in it, and it jumps to other teeth as well, which I'm sure are relatively fine (fingers crossed, I tend to jinx myself...). I'm pretty sure this is nerve related as the pain jumps to the molar, but skips the other premolar in between - obviously, because it's a fake one there and no more nerves left!

When I had that tooth filled I had another filled on the same appointment and the doc wanted to fix another one but said she wanted the neighbouring wisdom tooth out first, so referred me to hospital. Waiting time was 3 months, but two weeks before I cancelled the appointment because my systematic health issues started and the massive HA I never had began. They said I'd have to go to my dentist again to get a re-referral. For obvious reasons didn't go back.

Anyway, I'm so so scared to go. I had to LITERALLY brute force myself last time to go because I had that cavity open up. I know I have to go now, because the pain is jumping between teeth and the roof of my mouth (now I'm scared that the yellowing I posted about earlier is related), and who wants abscesses, right? The pain's also hindering my sleep and my work. But I'm just terrified, literally just THINKING of going tomorrow is making my head spin, I'm already trembling and on the verge of tears. Goddamn I don't know what's worse, this or my cancer fears!!!

Also, my dental surgery isn't getting the best reviews. Doctors leaving, being not so nice. That, and the absolute fear of pain of them touching the nerves is ridiculous. I just can't cope :( I also can't really afford extensive private treatment, so I opt for NHS, scared that they'll just half a**e it as they say and be harsh.

Anyone have any words of advise? :( In the meanwhile I'm going to dose up on pain and calming meds...and maybe chocolate. Bad for your teeth I know, but so far has worked better than any anti depressant!

Edit: the pain seems to travel all the way to my jaw hinge bone thingy as well, and now I have slight pain in that side's ear as well. Adding more to the anxiety firepit :(

Re: Ridiculously scared of dentists - probably need to go tomorrow

Awwww I feel for you - however you are in pain and the pain is only going to stop if you go to the dentist. Pain from teeth can go to the ear and the jaw - I remember a couple of years back I had horrendous earache (I always get earache) and it was in my jaw and my neck and I went to the docs who said my ear was ok. I assumed they were fobbing me off yet again (usually they say my ear is fine, then I have to insist it is not, so they give me antibiotics, I then tell them the standard antibiotics dont work and they need swabbed, they send me off with them not believing me, I end up back 3 days later for swabs, then they ring me another 3 days later with some antibiotic no chemist ever stocks lol). Anyway I had a dentist check up and when I got there I told him about my pin and he had a look and couldn't see anything but took an xray. The x ray showed a massive hole that was inside my tooth and that was the cause of my pain. Sorry, I have diverted a bit here havent I lol.
    Anyway, you must go - you can't leave it like last time or it will get worse x

Thing is, I'm scared of the formula 'if you want the pain to go away, you need to endure more pain on your existing pain' lol. Like the drilling and everything is alright - but the deeper they go the more tense I get! I am scared they are going to drill right into the nerve. And they obviously have to poke at the nerve to clean it and what not - nerves and big pokey things don't go well together!

I remember when they were taking out my dead tooth's nerves - didn't feel NOTHING, cause it was obviously dead. But when they did that on the abscessed one, well ok I don't remember pain, but I can remember that uncomfortable pull. Mind you, when you have an abscess as bad as I had, no pain could've trumped that haha.

But yeah, I'm scared of the anesthetic not being enough and them poking something live :( I also sometimes feel like dentists are very judgmental of you - and my dental history has not been the best. Not the worst, but not the best either, and they don't seem to believe the anxiety story...

Well just to prove how bad I'm scared of the dentist - woke up today, and literally the first thought in my brain was 'I need to go and sign up' and bam, massive anxiety attack.

Around 3 hours later managed to go to the clinic with my heart in my throat, just to be told the next available appointment is in a month! Toothache or not, no choice. They told me to call the emergency service number and they can refer me to an emergency clinic. I'll probably try my best to do that on Monday, earlier if my teeth decide to act up massively, which hopefully won't be the case. But considering how bad I was today, don't know I'll drag myself to the emergency dentist, cause that sounds even worse :(

I know the pain, I am also scared of going to the dentist, probably because of the embarassment about my teeth are not perfect, had some work done filling(s)
    but still go every three months for checkups. Last year I needed an emergency appointment not with my normal dentist who owns the pratice, but another dentist in the pratice who had a better understanding and calm me down and went through all the tests, was concerned whether i had a tooth which needed a filling done.

The end result from the xrays I had an abcess which needed treating with antibiotics I put off going to the dentist from being in pain for two days because I thought it was a sinus problem as I had the same problem before in 2005.

I still got massive fear of seeing the dentist

Have no idea how you manage to go every 3 months, heck I literally can only make myself go when a problem comes up! I know that's the wrong way to do this, but the fear is that big sadly :( I think the main problem is most dentists being so cold towards patients, especially when they KNOW patients have a special kind of fear when it comes to their type of doctors.

Man I wish the abscess I had could've been treated with medication haha wasn't so lucky My current pain is sort of going away day by day, buuuut knowing my luck I think it just means the tooth is dead or something worse. Oh well. Have no idea how to drag myself to a new clinic tomorrow!

GlazedOwl

The dentist asked me to come in every three months (my faced dropped) as I used to go every 6 months because I have a very difficult mouth to keep clean and probably because I panic so much Hopefully catch any problems I may have

Good luck at the dentist

---------- Post added at 11:12 ---------- Previous post was at 08:37 ----------

Also forgot to add being told I have possible oral cancer (even though I know oral cancer is rare and I have not to been told I have the big c) because I worry a lot. I just panic when I see something in my mouth and got into a fizzs

---------- Post added at 11:25 ---------- Previous post was at 11:12 ----------

My mum went with to the dentist because I was scared with I had dental pain

I forgot about the root canal I had with my old dentist, spent 3 45 minutes sessions in the chair

Let's be honest, I can't even go every YEAR for a checkup. Hats off to you for bravery!

I went to the new clinic I wanted to sign up to and they said I could do that, but they wouldn't be able to give me an emergency appointment until I had my first routine checkup, and the only available slots were in November, so that wasn't really good enough, considering I have to leave town next week. So I finally found the courage to call 111, a few hours later, just now (10pm) got a call from the dental helpline and they booked an appointment for me tomorrow.

I am both happy that I can hopefully get this sorted out and absolutely terrified that I have to go to the dentist. What I'm saying is, I'm a total wimp :(

So update on my dentist journey.

Went to the appointment yesterday, anxiety sure did kick in. Lucky me, the doctor was literally the nicest dentist I've ever met, bad news, he's not accepting new patients lol Anyway, the two teeth I had pain in are actually fine! My crowned one is the problem, as the root canal has passed it's best by date and there's a small infection there. It did look small - but darn it the pain goes all the way to my bottom teeth, my jaw and ear! I've just started my prescribed antibiotics today but apparently I'll need that crown removed eventually and go for either an implant or bridge. The doctor mentioned another procedure, but I can't remember the fancy word and it sound intimidating anyway.

Either way I'll need to get this done in a hospital and that scares me so bad :( I've already cancelled the hospital appointment last year so I don't know how to get this done! He said all of this can be done under local which is great (I'm scared of the thought of GA) but considering implants are literally drilled into your skull....ummm not so sure about this :(

good luck glazedowl

Thread Information