Thread: How I overcame Anxiety/Panic

Smile How I overcame Anxiety/Panic

Hello

Id like to share and hopefully help others overcome or work on their anxiety by sharing what i did to help me. Ive been there before, suffered from daily panic attacks and then anxiety. I wouldnt go anywhere and couldnt even walk across the road without feeling a panic attack coming on.

I thought i had a serious mental problem, felt like things wasnt going to change. Until one night i suffered the worst panic and anxiety attack. It happened all of a sudden, my mind was over racing, heart beating fast, felt breathless and anxious. But instead of doing what i ALWAYS did which was run from the situation, i let the feeling happen. I felt all the emotions panic anxiety and just sat there. I knew i had to face it and after the anxiety attack was over and i calmed down I just went to sleep. Still worried if it was going to happen again.

The next day something odd happened. I was in the shower and felt panicky like i was having a panic attack but the strangest thing about it was...i had no other symptoms that id always have such as dizziness, breathless feeling, anxious. Instead my body just felt panicky but without the symptoms.

From then i decided to beat anxiety panic. I realised that when my mind was focused on something else i was ok. So instead if Googling anxiety or panic, I would do online shopping for example. I would stop thinking about when the next panic attack was going to happen and instead told myself 'deal with the panic attack WHEN and IF it happens'. Instead of worrying about it 24/7.

Slowly my thinking changed. My focus shifted. I had to face my fears step by step. I would go for a walk each day. The first week i felt panicky but the panick attack didnt happen because when i felt it coming i would quickly distract myself. i didnt think about it.

Each week id do something new, i was so scared but knew i had to overcome the fear. I think for me facing my fear (the panic attack) was what helped me overcome them because each time they happened i never faced them, i always ran from them if you understand. But that one night i faced the panic attack and realised its just an emotion and feeling.

For example if your scared of spiders and your locked in a room with one. You will slowly start to get used to it being there and your fear will slowly start to be less or more manageable.

Dont let anxiety win. You will and can get through this. It takes small steps. Dont surround yourself with negative related anxiety stories or symptoms etc. Instead think to yourself 'Im breathing, Im alive, Im going to beat anxiety and enjoy life'

You can do it :-)

Re: How I overcame Anxiety/Panic

Quote Originally Posted by Goawaypanicattacks View Post
    Hello

Id like to share and hopefully help others overcome or work on their anxiety by sharing what i did to help me. Ive been there before, suffered from daily panic attacks and then anxiety. I wouldnt go anywhere and couldnt even walk across the road without feeling a panic attack coming on.

I thought i had a serious mental problem, felt like things wasnt going to change. Until one night i suffered the worst panic and anxiety attack. It happened all of a sudden, my mind was over racing, heart beating fast, felt breathless and anxious. But instead of doing what i ALWAYS did which was run from the situation, i let the feeling happen. I felt all the emotions panic anxiety and just sat there. I knew i had to face it and after the anxiety attack was over and i calmed down I just went to sleep. Still worried if it was going to happen again.

The next day something odd happened. I was in the shower and felt panicky like i was having a panic attack but the strangest thing about it was...i had no other symptoms that id always have such as dizziness, breathless feeling, anxious. Instead my body just felt panicky but without the symptoms.

From then i decided to beat anxiety panic. I realised that when my mind was focused on something else i was ok. So instead if Googling anxiety or panic, I would do online shopping for example. I would stop thinking about when the next panic attack was going to happen and instead told myself 'deal with the panic attack WHEN and IF it happens'. Instead of worrying about it 24/7.

Slowly my thinking changed. My focus shifted. I had to face my fears step by step. I would go for a walk each day. The first week i felt panicky but the panick attack didnt happen because when i felt it coming i would quickly distract myself. i didnt think about it.

Each week id do something new, i was so scared but knew i had to overcome the fear. I think for me facing my fear (the panic attack) was what helped me overcome them because each time they happened i never faced them, i always ran from them if you understand. But that one night i faced the panic attack and realised its just an emotion and feeling.

For example if your scared of spiders and your locked in a room with one. You will slowly start to get used to it being there and your fear will slowly start to be less or more manageable.

Dont let anxiety win. You will and can get through this. It takes small steps. Dont surround yourself with negative related anxiety stories or symptoms etc. Instead think to yourself 'Im breathing, Im alive, Im going to beat anxiety and enjoy life'

You can do it :-)
    Wow! this is really inspirational. I will have to try this next time I'm having a panic attack. Well done on beating them.

how do you change your thinking

my therapist says that you changing you thinking by recognising and relabelling anxious or distructive thoughts. not trying to push away or arguing with them.

eventually our automatic filter will stop these thoughts happening if we lower the importance we give them. we have millions of thoughts a day. people suffering with anxiety often unintentionally give too much importance to irrelevant thoughts by pushing them away or starting an internal argument with them

takes a lot of practice I think.

Thread Information