Thread: Forgetting to Breathe possibly?!

Forgetting to Breathe possibly?!

Hello everyone,
    I am new to No More Panic! I have been having panic attacks and general anxiety since i fell pregnant in June - unfortunately miscarried but it was not planned as I have a wedding planned next year, but still very upsetting!
    I have low iron so the doc just thought it would have been that bringing on anxiety symptoms as apparently the baby takes a lot of iron when its developing? But it cant be now i am not pregnant!

Read a lot of posts so far and its great to see a lot of people sharing same symptoms as myself! Its made me feel better already!

I wondered if anyone felt sometimes that they forget to breath? Its happened 3 times this week now, and Its like I suddenly remember then have to take a massive breath which then makes me anxious and then my heart starts beating really fast!! Can anyone relate to this?!! And if so, how can I overcome this problem?! I have had it when going to sleep but also just when I am on my laptop at work?! Please help!

Re: Forgetting to Breathe possibly?!

I think your mind is playing tricks on you.

You will never forget to breathe. If you had to constantly remind yourself to breathe, you wouldn't have got this far in life!!

Relax and have confidence that your brain has you covered.

If you need any reassurance, try not breathing. Your brain will soon MAKE you breathe.

Do it now... try holding your breathe and resisting the urge to breathe.

Hello SLA,
    Thank you for your reply!
    Yes I keep thinking that but why sometimes isnt it consistent? Why do I have the need to suddenly have to take a big gasp when I am not thinking of my anxiety?!
    I did what you told me - thank you - a good excersize to bring me back down to planet earth lol!

It's not consistent because it doesn't have to be.

For example, when you go for a run, your breathing rate goes up, and is shorter in duration.

When you are asleep, it slows down, and the breathes become longer.

You are just hyper aware of it right now and feel like its an issue.

But its not. Just good old anxiety playing a quick game.

Although i wouldnt say I forget to breathe, I would say I have been forgetting to breath properly.

Prior to my HA starting I would do normal deep full breaths, since HA I notice that i tense my back and chest and take very very short small breaths.

I think this has been contributing to my headaches, not breathing correctly etc and tense neck/shoulders.

Yes its probably my sub conscious mind playing tricks isn't it!!

Very interesting to read Colicab865, I have had a deep tissue massage in the last week as my back has been so tense so maybe this is why if you are having the same? She said my right side is very tight and has concentrated on that - I have had an ache right arm and a headache on the right side and I have been told i seriously need to relax my shoulders so that could be having an effect!
    Luckily my appointment is next week so I hope she will sort that out as its been rather uncomfortable!
    And what is HA?

Health Anxiety

Ahh my apologies!
    I need to loosen up but its hard when I feel anxious so much!!! Thanks for your help both,
    Hannah x

Forgetting to breath possibly?!

Umm, I'm not disputing anything that has been said, its all true.
    However, I totally get it, I had a panic attack today, since then I feel as if I keep forgetting to breath. My breathing gets so shallow, I have to take a big breath to catch up with myself. This is something I experience quite a lot.
    Just letting you know, I get it to.
    Your not alone! xx

I get this too just to reassure you.. I have to take a big breath every now and then, especially if i feel like i cant get enough air or the breath doesnt go all the way down so to speak. i do this when i am anxious and I also feel like i might forget to breathe sometimes, then once you focus on it, it becomes worse. Dont worry about it, it is anxiety and there are so many of us with this. Sending you positive thoughts x

Thread Information