Thread: Lumps under armpit

Lumps under armpit

Hi everyone,

Great forum here, this is my first post. I'm a bit of a worrier, which I'm sure others can relate too. Anyway, I've always been able to feel lumps in my throats and groin area, and by always I mean as long as I can remember, I'm 24 now. I think some one told me when I was young that they were Lymph Nodes, so I've never really been too worried about them. I'm pretty skinny, always have been, so I can probably feel them more than some people. Although it does occasionally play on my mind about the lumps. Now I'm older though I have always told myself that if I ever felt any other lumps I'd get them checked out. Low and behold I felt some that I wasn't sure if they'd always been there or not,i have felt two or there, in and around my armpit. One actually in the centre, which I think I've always had, and two (I think) others a little further down. The reason I notice the other is because I've been having a bit of pain/an ache around that area. Something that I think is actually caused by the fact I've started playing golf, although it might not be.

The lumps don't really hurt and they move around slightly when touched (not fixed to anything). I went to the doctors the other day and she told me she thinks it's swollen lymp nodes, but she didn't seem that sure. She said come back after 4 weeks if they haven't gone down. Of course I'm a little worried it might be something more serious and it's been playing on my mind massively that it could be the big C word.

Any advice would be appreciated, thank you

Re: Lumps under armpit

Feeling slightly better about this, but still pretty anxious.

EDIT: every so often I feel like my chest is tight and I'm not breathing right
    Last edited by Denniswilson; 17-10-16 at 10:35.

I am of a similar age to you, and also have recently found a lump in my armpit. Firm but movable, maybe 1cm max. Fairly certain it is a normal lymph node but it has just caused me panic because of how much bigger it is compared to others that I can feel. Cancer is the big worry, so I can empathise. I also have one in my neck which a doctor felt and said he wasn't concerned about at all, but I'm not convinced he was able to feel the one in my armpit properly (considering going back for a second opinion just to completely calm my anxiety).
    How is your situation now? Is your anxiety much better? Any changes in the nodes?

Quote Originally Posted by laura95 View Post
    I am of a similar age to you, and also have recently found a lump in my armpit. Firm but movable, maybe 1cm max. Fairly certain it is a normal lymph node but it has just caused me panic because of how much bigger it is compared to others that I can feel. Cancer is the big worry, so I can empathise. I also have one in my neck which a doctor felt and said he wasn't concerned about at all, but I'm not convinced he was able to feel the one in my armpit properly (considering going back for a second opinion just to completely calm my anxiety).
    How is your situation now? Is your anxiety much better? Any changes in the nodes?
    Thanks for replying Laura! I went back for a second opinion as the stress and anxiety was just getting too much. The second doctor I saw was a lot better. He seemed pretty confident it is just a lymph mode and said everyone's are different and if you're skinny you will feel them easier.

However as I said I was stressed about it he referred me for a blood test and a scan on the lump. I had the blood test and apparently I have low iron (or something) so I'm having a few more blood tests this week. Which has actually made me stress more, but at least they're testing and I'm hoping this will put my mind to rest as it's worrying me so much. I don't have the scan till 1st of December. It might be worth you going back and saying you're worried, as they may offer you the same tests.

I keep telling myself that doctors know what bad lumps feel like and if they thought it was the blood tests and scan would have been set to urgent.

Hi both,

I'm 24 and going through exactly the same thing. The whole area seems quite sore but not sure if it's swelling. I can feel one small, hard lump just under my armpit. I keep worrying the more I touch it so trying to leave it alone. I've got a doctors appointment tomorrow.

I hope both of yours go okay!

Hi,

Yeah I'd definitely try not to touch it much for a while, I believe that can cause them to swell and be a bit painful. Mine hasn't ever hurt really, but that area has been tender, which I think was from me keep poking. I'd definitely tell the DR that you're stressed and worried about it, that way they should do proper tests, -/ I often think they don't do the extra tests that they'd do for someone who's older because they think it's less likely to be serious with someone younger.

Hi, I have the same thing. 1 hard lump under armpit. around 0.5mm to 1cm. It's not very big, it is hard, I think it's movable.

I did have blood work, and went to breast clinic and gp. Everything was apparently fine but here I am 5 months later, still petrified.

The breast clinic doc said I didn't need a scan :-(

Please could you let us know how things go with you. Thankyou.

Thread Information