Thread: Foxes late night screeching near my house, are they ok?

Foxes late night screeching near my house, are they ok?

I've seen a fox running down my street a few times in the dark, but 2 nights ago , while I was in bed, I heard a terrible screeching noise. At first it sounded like a child screaming but it quickly came apparent it was a fox or foxes.
    The noise was very dramatic and went on for a few minutes.

Is this a mating call , an argument, or just normal fox behaviour?

I don't know too much about them but I was curious about the screeching. It's always a lovely sight to see them slinking away in the moonlight.

Re: Foxes late night screeching near my house, are they ok?

Sounds normal for foxes I think. Sort of like a dog but screechy

Hate to lower the tone, but mating foxes sound like someone is being murdered!

Eek

Yes it's normal for foxes to screech like a distressed child lol! I remember the first time I heard it...I was mortified

ISB x

Thanks guys. It was certainly a noise you can't forget ! X

I often come across foxes with being a late night walker. A few months back there was a young grey one just screeching standing on a petrol station forecourt. He moved away a little when I came past and what he had been screeching at endlessly was a big black cat curled up looking like it couldn't care less, as cats tend to do. The fox circled around me, I moved the cat on and the fox went on his way.

We hear them sometimes. I guess they are warning things off or humping. Cats are the worst for the latter! It's either really really good or painful!

We have them here Carrie and one came with mum's house when I sold it.
    Hangs around in her back garden, that will be a surprise for the new owners.

The first time I heard that noise, was in the night. I though someone was being murdered. It's so loud and quite disturbing and I watched the fox scouring down the road. Looking for food, I suppose.
    My cat does not like it at all. His ears go back and he pulls a face.

Quote Originally Posted by Carnation View Post
    We have them here Carrie and one came with mum's house when I sold it.
    Hangs around in her back garden, that will be a surprise for the new owners.

The first time I heard that noise, was in the night. I though someone was being murdered. It's so loud and quite disturbing and I watched the fox scouring down the road. Looking for food, I suppose.
    My cat does not like it at all. His ears go back and he pulls a face.
    For years I wondered what the weird screeching noise was every time someone in EastEnders went to bury a body in the woods. Then I saw Midsummer Murders and one of the characters said it was a fox.

I have fields and woodland surrounding my house, so I very often hear the foxes at night. Even worse are when the fox cubs are play fighting, they make a horrendous racket. There are badgers around here too which can be suprisingly noisy buggers. But nothing tops the screaming a rabbit makes when it is caught by a fox or an owl, that's a truly bonechilling noise.

The joys of living in the country.

Thread Information