Thread: CRAZY anxiety after 3 CT Scans (Radiation and Cancer Risk)

Unhappy CRAZY anxiety after 3 CT Scans (Radiation and Cancer Risk)

I am a 100 pound, 23 year old female.

This year I have had 3 CT scans (2 of the chest, and 1 of the abdomen), both of which came back normal which makes me feel like I exposed myself to so much cancer-causing radiation for NOTHING.

The chest CT was warranted because I had been coughing up blood for a few months, however the technologist said my first chest CT scan was "blurry" so she gave me immediately gave me a second afterwards!!! I've heard that's like getting 700 regular xrays in a row.

Then just recently, I was pressured by my parents to get an abdominal CT because of digestive issues that lead me to the emergency room. I felt so reluctant about it but did it anyway against my better judgement. Of course, it was normal.

Besides that, I've gotten many normal xrays over the years (chest, mouth, knee, etc) which all adds up.

Now all I do is cry every night because I believe those mega doses of ionizing radiation is going to spur mutations a few years down the line and cause cancer (especially since I'm so thin and young.) I'm crippled by anxiety every day... I've lost my job, I'm depressed, I feel hopeless about my future health. There is already cancer in my immediate family so this just adds to my risk. I'm wondering if they'll be able to tell me how much mSv was in my scan but I fear how high it will be.

Has anyone else gotten multiple CT scans? Am I right to be so concerned about my cancer risk???? Any advice/words will be REALLY appreciated. My life has been hell after this and I don't know how to cope.

Re: CRAZY anxiety after 3 CT Scans (Radiation and Cancer Risk)

I had to smile when I read your post.

I was diagnosed with Hodgkin's Lymphoma when I was in my late 20’s and again in my early 30’s. In addition to chemo, I received radiation to my chest and abdomen. For the next 15 years, received YEARLY CT scans. That’s enough radiation to float a nuclear sub, I’m sure.

I’m 60 years old now, and while I may glow in the dark I’m still here.

My dear, you have NOTHING to worry about.

Quote Originally Posted by Beachlady View Post
    I’m 60 years old now, and while I may glow in the dark I’m still here.

My dear, you have NOTHING to worry about.
    I'm 57... numerous CTs, x-rays, PET scans etc. and Head and Neck cancer survivor. Radiation treatments 5 days a week for 6 weeks. I use that same "glow in the dark" line too ~lol~

Positive thoughts
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

Quote Originally Posted by Fishmanpa View Post
    I'm 57... numerous CTs, x-rays, PET scans etc. and Head and Neck cancer survivor. Radiation treatments 5 days a week for 6 weeks. I use that same "glow in the dark" line too ~lol~

Positive thoughts

CT and MRI every three months. Doing just fine and not glowing in the dark

Hi

I only had one CT on my abodminal, but a number of MRI scans not because of my anxiety, but I do have a health condition called NF where I have to brain scans every 18 months or so to montior something on my brain pons (not serious) also my GP was sensible and unware about having a spinal scan because 1 in 10 people with NF has a curve back.

I dont think you should worry because Fishmanpa and Beachlady and countless others have had scans

Thread Information