Thread: Adult children of alcoholic parents

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Adult children of alcoholic parents

My title says it all really. For anyone that has ever wondered why I am a tad loopy, part of the explanation lies in my title. Only part of the complicated jigsaw, but a big part.

I bought a really interesting book recommended on another forum about depression.(called 'Adult children of Alcoholics' by janet Geringer Woititz) It looks at how children of alcoholic parents grow into adults and where our ideas of ‘normal’ become distorted.

I for my part had two wonderful parents, who happened to drink too much, too often. My anxiety goes way back to my earliest memories of childhood and now with the help of counselling, time and self help in the way of books I am finding a way (hopefully) out of the guilt, secrecy, lies, lack of self esteem, and maybe even anxiety/depression.

I just wanted to post this as I think so many people have had their lives affected so much by being children of one or two alcoholic parents.

Everyone seems to know the stereotypical view of someone standing up at an alcoholics anonymous meeting and saying ‘My name is ******, and I am an alcoholic’ as that is part of the recovery, to admit where they are at.
    Well, I think for some of the children left behind with the shame and guilt and countless other negative emotions, that probably the majority of parents did not mean them to have, need to feel free to admit something similar. It is not the childrens fault, it is mostly no-ones fault, it just is.

I am not going to do the whole stand up thing here (although, I kinda have eh? ) but I want to recommend the book for people to read (if they so wish obviously) and to say that I think the legacy of being children of alcoholic parents, can leave on people is underestimated and little known.

I am not looking for anything here. I think I just wanted to share what I think might be partly a conclusion and pathway for my recovery. I don't know, I can but hope.
    (Tomorrow I may feel disloyal for writing this, but that is the guilt that I have been brought up with, today I break chains!)

Happyone
    xx
    Last edited by happyone; 31-03-07 at 22:25.

I've been through some terrible things in my life, some of which actually happened.
    —Mark Twain

Thread Information