Thread: Scared of the toilet!!!

Scared of the toilet!!!

Hi.... I have suffered with health anxiety for 10 years I'm 36 now, my current anxiety is regarding my bowels . I had food poisoning in August violent stomach pains and I was passing blood. I went to A&E they didn't seem too concerned and I was sent away. However I have not been able to let go of the fear of passing more blood, my gp wasn't bothered and I am waiting to see a. Consultant next month I think I have piles again as I had then before.... however I have developed a fear of the toilet and my anxiety is sky high thinking I have bowel cancer, I have not seen no more blood I don't think but I try to be quick and not look. It's worse on a morning as that's when I need the toilet but the more I worry the more I need to go. I have lost about 8!lb since August Cos can't eat properly for worry, I hate this I conquered anxiety before I can't believe it's back I hate it hate it hate it. How do we all function with work, kids, pets, partners etc ... and deal with the demon- anxiety!!
    Sorry for going on but it's really affecting me now.

Re: Scared of the toilet!!!

I have the same! Can't stand to look at the poo, can't stand not to look. My family acutalyy had dragged me away from the loo on occasion. One easy solution is to switch the light off, do your business and go. Don't give in to temptation to look at the bowl.

Have you looked into CBT?

I am also scared of the toilet, I always have a bad habit are looking at my poop shape, size, colour when I thought I had bowel cancer 3 or 4 years ago, now still make a habit of it and also check everytime i go for a wee.

I know it a bad habit but scared of using public toilets.

I have even been known to take photos of my poop which is scared and date the photo and time

If you are worried see a GP and if you are not happy see another one

Hi thanks for your replies... I had CBT many moons ago, in my previous bout of health anxiety. To be honest I didn't find it helped that much. This site was my saviour and I read a lot of anxiety help books... however it is back now and I need to deal with it. I see a consultant next month at the hospital, and I know until I have had a scope I will continue feeling this way.

I am exactly the same I get really worried

I've been feeling like this for the past ten weeks, I try not to look to closely but the urge is too strong and I give in, today has been awful as I've seen bits of Orange stuff on the tp and even though I've had carrots over the last few days I can't stop catastrophising. Really had enough of this anxiety.

I am the same. Always looking and checking. Seeing a consultant at last, so hoping it will be ok. I had a campylobacter infection last year and not been the same since. I'm all over the place. I hate going out anywhere because I might need to go urgently - nightmare!

Thank goodness for this site!

You're exactly the same as me, Campylerbactor last year and never the same since. My system just isn't the same I also have IBS too. Do you still have to go to the loo a lot? I do especially after eating.

New here and totally relate to this. I just turned 52. It started when I saw red pieces in my stool which were in all likelihood undigested food. My stomach is very sensitive and my doctor suggested perhaps it's IBS.

The big thing for me is that one of my fecal occult samples came back positive last month (out of 3) so now I get anxiety before every BM and if I see some red it's a full on panic attack :( I was told the positive sample could be a number of things but like I'm sure many of us here, default to worst case scenario.

Just took an atavan to calm down since it happened this morning. My colonoscopy is scheduled for the 19th.

Thread Information