Thread: Perfect life or is it

Perfect life or is it

Hi,

Newbie here and not sure if this is the right place for some advice. I come from a culture where MH or depression is a taboo subject. Now I'm a 30 year old with no significant history of MH. I have a good job and good home life but recently i have just been feeling so down.

This started almost 2 weeks ago where i would start feeling tense and worried with lots of nervous energy. Now i habe to contantly hide and mask my problems which causes further issues. The feeling of being worried and not enjoying sometimes make me want to press the self destruct button and do things I've never done before like go for a walk at 3am!!

I've thought about going to the doctors but have a problem with discussing this with anyone hence putting on here where I'm protected by the world wide web.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated

Re: Perfect life or is it

If you're coming from a culture where MH is off limits, then you will find it hard to discuss. If it's any consolation a lot of people find it difficult to broach with their GP for fear of being labelled. It is a big step for you, but the most important one is recognising that you don't feel right, and that there's a problem.

So..how about printing off what you've written here, going to doc, and saying "can
    I show you this? It's something I find hard to talk about". Do you think that might make it easier for you if the doc knows how you feel?

PS. Your visit to your doc is confidential, you should be able to discuss anything freely x

If it's off limits due to your culture, it might be worth looking for a support group outside of that. For instance, in the walk-in groups I went to no one cared about religion or background, skin colour, etc and there was a strong feeling that we were all united by wanting to help ourselves. Obviously you can never truly escape the problems in society so there is always a possibility of idiots anywhere but I would think on an international website like this we can say it's rarely seen and hope that's something you certainly never experience in accessing the support you need.

Don't be afraid to talk on here, mental health problems have no boundaries like any other medical problem so anyone can have them. It's not a failing, although you may feel like that a lot of the time, it's just a disorder to recover from. Everyone is very open & supportive on here.

Thank you very much for the replies. I love he idea of printing what I've wrote and taking it to my doctor but once again it's a culture thing, and I don't say that to make an excuse but genuinely would be broaching a taboo subject.

Man ..I'm weeping up just writing this and it feels like I've just unloaded this massive weight off my chest. what is difficult is dropping the guard so to speak....I'm the joker in the workplace and at home....I'm the one who always does things on time and qould lie to think I'm so organised and time efficient but just so scared of showing what is happening inside. Will have more of a read of things on here and hopefully become more confident to discuss this with family.

Thread Information