Thread: Headache / tumour

Headache / tumour

Hi there,

I wonder if anyone could offer me any positive thoughts or advice please. 30 year old male suffering from health anxiety for over 10 years.

Since having a cold last week I've had a sharp shooting pain on the top right hand side of my head every now and again. It's worst when I'm moving around and will stab or shoot for a second or two and then disappear. It happens throughout the day but gets better and goes away when I sit down / rest. It is worse when I take a few breath: at the peak of the breath the sharp pain appears just above my right ear.

I've been terrified, after using Google, that it's a brain tumour. I've read the symptoms and signs and now that I feel tired, a bit of nausea, disorientated and irritable etc I'm worried my symptoms are the same. I'm also mixing up my words and getting frustrated etc - which in turn worries me more.

I saw my GP yesterday and told him (he referred me for CBT two years ago) my fears. He shone his light in my eyes and checked my retina he said, and this was fine. Then I had to follow his hand with my eyes and that was fine too. He asked me if I have dropped anything or become clumsy lately - and I haven't. He said based on what he's seen and what I said he is happy no further action is needed right now.

We also talked about my posture as it's poor and I use a laptop. I found a condition called Occipitual Neuralgia which is very similar to my symptoms and can be caused from prolonged laptop use and poor posture. I know deep down this is probably the cause - but I just can't get the tumour thoughts out of my head.

Is anyone else able to offer advice? Or had similar? What are the best ways to stop thinking the worst and distract myself? I'm going to drive my partner mad asking for reassurance shortly I worry.

:-(

Re: Headache / tumour

Please dont Google because 99.0-100% of the time it will come back as cancer, tumour or some other serious disease which is very rare

Have you had an eye exam recently, you mention you been to GP which is good and would have picked up from the tests he did and the answers you gave.

Hi Adam
    I know it's really hard but it's just the anxiety making you think the worse. You're going to be absolutely fine as your doc checked you over and if he had seen any indication of something seriously wrong with you then he would have sent you for tests. I know it's difficult when we're feeling like this, but you've got to keep reminding yourself of the facts: the doctor has checked you over and found nothing bad wrong with you. The thoughts that you may have a brain tumour are just silly opinions and NOT facts. It's just the stupid anxiety making you think like this.
    The other symptoms you described like nausea, irritability etc...are very common symptoms of anxiety. I get all those symptoms you described when I'm anxious. Everytime you think 'have I got a brain tumour' etc...stop yourself from listening to that anxious opinion and remind yourself of the fact that you are absolutely fine, as confirmed by your doc.
    Try and distract yourself by doing things that you enjoy, like watching movies, listening to music, playing games, spending time with loved ones...
    I hope this helps Adam

Unsure - I had an eye test three months ago and it was fine. I think that's good and reassures me.

Rosie - I'm glad someone else suffers with these symptoms. Well, not glad but you know what I mean. Today I've felt overwhelmed at points like I'm going to crack. I think it's a buildup of the pain not being relived by simple medications (over the counter) and lasting a week (on and off - not constant) with the feeling sick, stomach upset, feeling dizzy, eyes strained etc. You're right. I need to tell myself each time that's it's silly. I feel very daft.

Thanks both for your info

The symptoms are actually really common - it's crazy how many physical symptoms that anxiety can cause.
    You're not daft or silly at all! It's just the silly anxiety that's making you feel like this and it's about changing those irrational thoughts into positive thoughts.
    I know it can be very overwhelming, especially when you're feeling all these physical symptoms as well. It is very draining and exhausting, but please remember that this WILL pass, that it's only temporary and you will get through this Adam.

Thanks Rosie. Time to practice some CBT bits I think and try to relax.

Thread Information