Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Need to write a letter as part of my therapy

Re: Need to write a letter as part of my therapy

This is my letter so far....

dear _____,

I have enjoyed our sessions together.

I don't think that's quite good enough. Have absolutely no idea what to write and I've tried googling but doesn't give much information. I need it for tomorrow it's stressing me out so much.

Is it supposed to be honest? Or is it an ego massaging exercise or way for the service to justify themselves?

If it's honest, surely it needs to be representative of what you feel? So, are you more worried about highlighted what it hasn't done for you as you think it makes you sound ungrateful and they will be unhappy?

Therapy often fails for many reasons and they should be fine with that. Being non judgemental is a very important quality in their trade and it's unlikely they will see negatives as a negative of their performance as a therapist.

If you have good points as well as bad, it may not sound as bad as you think?

Thank you for replying.

I'm not really sure why I have to write one apparently it's standard for CAT therapy and my therapist will also be writing one for me.

Yes I'm worried stating that it hasn't worked will make me sound ungrateful. My previous cbt therapist also stated in my referral for this therapy that I wasn't willing to try new things (which was untrue his 'homework' was just stupid) and I'm worried I will be 'blamed' for this not working too (although this therapist is lovely so I don't really think that will be the case).

I did enjoy going so I suppose that's a positive. I just feel like therapy isn't for me. I'm also a tiny bit worried as my therapist said they're 3/4 qualified and I'm worried me as a client could impact on their qualification.

Well you definitely won't impact on them in qualifying. Since a fair number of treatments don't produce the results they are and to, for many reasons, they won't be accessing them on success rates. No one would probably ever qualify! They will be assessing them on delivering the therapy, their interaction, how they adapt to your needs, etc.

If they didn't follow their training, it would reflect on them. But a certain level of treatment resistance is to be expected with fear based therapies.

So, perhaps talk about the qualities of your therapist in the positives since they have been good to you? Talk about if it was easy to understand and put across well, if your questions & concerns were addressed. Talk about elements of the therapy itself which helped you understand yourself, create goals, etc.

The negatives will more naturally present themselves so it's just a question of putting then across in a respectful & constructive manner.

Maybe write about how you have struggled to write the letter. How it made you feel and what you've learnt from it. That might help start you off anyway...

Thank you both for replying. I've been out on a long walk so really need to do this right now!

Terry that's good to hear then I feel a little less pressured now. Yeah I'll put in the letter about how I felt comfortable talking to her and didn't feel judged etc.

Kuatir that's a good idea.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information