Thread: Bowel concerns.

Bowel concerns.

18 year old male here. So, about 2 months ago I started having stomach/bowel issues. I had very bad bloating, cramps, loss of appetite with weight loss, gas & fatigue. I went to the doctor, they did a routine blood test and a stool test for faecal calprotectin (checking for inflammation). Everything came back normal.

About 3 weeks ago I had a scare where I thought I saw a streak of bright red blood in stool. It was just a long mark of bright red within the stool, I posted on here in a panic but after reassurance realised that the 4 slices of pepperoni pizza might have had some influence..

This next part is going to be pretty gross in description: just there now I have went to the toilet and my stool had rather concerning amounts of white and brown mucus. My stool's are strange aswell, they always break as they come out in lots of pieces, they're very light orange in some places and then normal brown in others, and the one I just had quite a lot of concerning brown and white jelly like substance. In addition to all of this, in the last 2 days I've had pain in my rectum when I clench (but only if I clench) which sounds like internal piles but I have absolutely no pain when pooing and no blood on toilet paper, and I do still have excess gas. My fatigue has also come back, my arms and legs feel particularly tired even right after waking up, but I've put that down to a very irregular sleep schedule, but I'm also currently on 30mg/day of prednisolone for my asthma and have been for 5 days. I have some other strange symptoms aswell, like sometimes when I press in to my stomach I get sharp pains down towards my bladder, like a stingy/stretchy kind of pain.

My family are getting tired of me talking about health concerns and going to the doctor.

Basically, I just need to know people's thoughts on what it could be or what I should do next. Does this sound like piles, at my age (18) should I even be thinking about colon cancer? I read that a sedentary lifestyle and bad diet is a major cause and I have both of those :(
    Last edited by thomas1998; 24-10-16 at 07:09.

Re: Bowel concerns.

It's all about the diet dude.

If you put crap in, you will feel crap.

Stop focussing on your stools, and start focussing on improving your diet.

Add in some light exercise, and before you know it, you'll feel great and your worries will subside.

There is a reason why Doctors recommend exercise and healthy eating. Because it makes you feel amazing.

So get on it. Make that your new obsession.

Take ownership of your body, and start making changes that will make you feel great.

I went on a gluten free diet in August, and havent looked back. My anxiety just went.

I had a similar problem but i started eating a lot of foods with high fiber and protein along with probiotic foods. My stomach issues and bowel movements were resolved within a month or so and I have continued to eat healthy to keep those problems under control.

eat a lot of green leaf

So nobody thinks a crap (literally) load of mucus and rectal pain upon clenching is worth investigating? I've already booked an appointment but now I feel like I've being over dramatic?

---------- Post added at 09:58 ---------- Previous post was at 08:47 ----------

Ok, bit of a bombshell revelation here. I've just been told that my granny, 2 aunties, 1 uncle have coeliac disease and my dad just said that "all that stuff doesnt really agree with me either but I eat it anyway."

Sooo, think I might bring that one up at the doctors

---------- Post added at 12:29 ---------- Previous post was at 09:58 ----------

Just back from the doctors. Testing for coeliac and thyroid tomorrow, he also confirmed that I have piles which explains the pain. He said if my thyroid and coeliac tests are fine then I have IBS C.

IBS symptoms come in all shapes and sizes, as you will see from the many posts on this forum.
    Most of us that suffer from General anxiety also suffer from health anxiety to some degree.
    So any symptom will become huge and almost definitely (in our minds) be due to some or other terminal illness.
    Anxiety is a big factor in IBS. For myself it's almost the only cause.
    But eating badly doesn't help and can cause stomach issues, which in turn cause Anxiety which then causes more symptoms.....
    Mucus and rectal pain are common in IBS. Piles are also common.
    Take a look at some of the IBS sites that will tell you what food to avoid.

Thank you, I will do! The anxiety definitely makes it a lot worse. I just need to stop Googling symptoms, it sends me in to overdrive. Regardless I'm going to have to do a major shift in my diet and exercise habits, it's definitely not good right now.

Thread Information