Thread: Flying soon

Flying soon

I will be flying in the next few weeks and my anxiety is starting to kick up. Trying whatever I can to keep calm.

Re: Flying soon

I read some interesting news about how they treat spider phobias (not the same, but similar). They've found out that viewing pictures of spiders some time before being exposed to real spider (in treatment of the phobia) helps a lot of coping with the phobia, retraining the brain to react (nor rather not) in new ways, so that the fear resides.

On a similar note you could watch, and re-watch, videos (or repeatedly watch the same video) of normal flying.

I've looked up one video for you that I think will do the trick in that regard: "Fear of Flying onboard help video from British Airways Flying with Confidence" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qEPeDhkrSzY

Load the video. If you can't watch it just settle by pausing it and viewing the title. Next, look at the same video again, and play 5 seconds. There seems to be a series of educational videos from British Airways on this topic, so when you've finished watching this particular video and get no stress reaction from it (might take a couple of rounds perhaps). This seems to be about their course: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_rNwBTvsoCY

Just my two cents.

I was afraid to fly until about 6 yrs ago
    One day I just said to myself I'm not driving 9 hrs when I can fly for 90 mins and booked a flight and got on.
    Been flying ever since.
    It's just like being on a bus

Don't be afraid that your life will end, be afraid that it will never begin.

Hate flying because my first ever real panic/anxiety in my adult life occurred on a plane even though the flight was perfect. Totally unsettled me.

Flew this year and just got drunk going (easy peasy) but was sober coming home (counted every minute on tbe flight).

Thread Information