Thread: Weight loss and not able to gain weight..

Weight loss and not able to gain weight..

Just one more question for tonight.I moved to a higher altitude about a year ago and started immediately losing weight.My wife to has lost a lot of weight..I went to the doctor and got all clear and I told them of my weight loss..They said good its better for your blood pressure and your heart etc..OK its better.. but im thinner than I have ever been in my life.. I eat sweets and more than I have in the past months but can't seem to really gain weight. Im not that active yet I keep maintaining a low body weight which i checked and im on the lower end of acceptable and well can't seem to pick up any weight.I was told when we moved here that the metabolism is three times faster even when you are sleeping and to tell you the truth I look around and very seldom see anyone that is really what i call overweight.Most of the people here are on the little side..I look older because my skin is just losing its vitality..We live in what they call a high plains dessert.. Could this just be something that is normal here or could there be something wrong with me? I asked the doctor and told them that both myself and my wife has lost a lot of weight..they said good and my nurse friend that comes by says that older people that have the metabolism in the genetics that it kicks in and they get small.. she doesnt seem to think its a problem..and that its healthy and said if it worries me to eat more but I eat a lot. .and don't gain.. What is the problem..could this be normal and will I always be this small or could there be something else wrong with me? Please advise..?

Hi looking4answers

I think some of us would relish being able to lose weight without trying but I can see how this could be a cause of anxiety for you. And, of course, being anxious can also cause weight loss.

Quote Originally Posted by looking4answers View Post
    I moved to a higher altitude about a year ago and started immediately losing weight. My wife to has lost a lot of weight..I went to the doctor and got all clear and I told them of my weight loss.
    So it is good that you have been checked thoroughly by a doctor and from what you describe the weight situation appears to be the norm there.

If you are finding it a real problem to maintain weight and this is a cause of concern for you there are other ways to help increase weight in a healthy way. If you are not able to eat more food, or food that is healthy to do this, have you considered meal supplement drinks? These usually contain enough calories and vitamins etc to help maintain healthy weight.

I was told when we moved here that the metabolism is three times faster even when you are sleeping and to tell you the truth I look around and very seldom see anyone that is really what i call overweight.Most of the people here are on the little side..
    It sounds a healthy place to live to me. Wish I lived there

Could this just be something that is normal here or could there be something wrong with me?
    I think you have answered your own question by what you said in the quote above. It seems to be something that is common and normal for where you are living, which your doctor has confirmed. Raising weight can be helped with healthy foods and/or build up drinks.

I do not have any medical knowledge but from what you've written it doesn't sound like this is something to worry about.

Karen

Re: Weight loss and not able to gain weight..

When I lost a load of weight a few years ago, not through living at a high altitude but rather through anxiety and loss of appetite, a friend dof mine bought me some complan. It was really high in calories (even though it tasted like muck) and I managed to put on a few pounds on it. Worth looking into it I reckon.

Re: Weight loss and not able to gain weight..

complan is good but not if you yiou lose wieght by different means other than a health problem. complan is used alot in adults who have health problems in which they lose alot of weight when they cannot exercise etc. if they lose weight and they have not got alot of mobilty then we tend to give then complan to boost. up to you but if i lived there id love to lose weight. try to stay calm and accept it. then eat what you want . and se if you gain weight then. if not if the gp has said your fine then your fine.

Thread Information