Thread: Citalopram advice please

Citalopram advice please

Hi,

I've been on citalopram now for 7.5 weeks. First two weeks started on 10mg and then the majority of the time thereafter on 20mg. I've now upped to 25mg for half a week. In the third week of 20mg I felt about a week's relief followed by a similar period of the exact opposite mood which is why I've upped to 25mg. I'm still not feeling any relief as yet. I am too afraid to go to 40 at my GP's request although she has agreed I can move to 30 via this pathway.

My question is should I be concerned that I'm still suffering from low mood at this stage. The panic has improved a little however I'm feeling somewhat more depressed. I don't want to switch meds at this stage.

Just looking for other people who have gone through similar situations.

Thanks in advance

Re: Citalopram advice please

YYour GP should have explained this to you. Antidepressants like citalopram take around 6 weeks to start having a therapeutic affect....and only when on the correct dose. The reason your GP wants you to gradually increase to 4mg is to build up to that therapeutic dose whilst keeping side effects and shock to the system a minimum. My advise would be to follow doctor guidelines. Don't expect it to start working straight away....like I said, it takes weeks and is different for everyone. Hope this helps.

Hello. I started taking 10mg of cit in March. I have only now gone up to 30mg and still suffering with side affects etc. I will stay at 30mg for at least 8 weeks and hopefully I will do well at this dose. Doc would like me to go to 40 but like you I am reluctant.. keep strong and it does take a while to work. X

@jacsta - my GP wanted me to go to 40 straightaway after 6 weeks on a combi of 20 and 10 (2 weeks on 10mg and 4.5 weeks on 20mg). I myself decided to push increase to 25mg for these last few days. Based on your comments, do you think it best to go back down to 20mg even though I wasn't feeling an effect (only an effect in the third week which died).

---------- Post added at 15:26 ---------- Previous post was at 15:23 ----------

@polly - did you find it has an effect on your at 10mg for that period of time?

I wouldn't keep changing the dose. If side effects are manageable stay on 25mg and then next increase as Dr recommended. If concerned just ring the Dr for advice. Like I said....you won't always feel an affect on the lower doses. The point of starting low is to build up levels of medication in your system slowly. So you may not notice an affect for a couple of months.

So I'm freaking unnecessarily that it's not fully working at this stage? When you say you won't see an effect on the low dose, are you referring to 20mg? Just asking as it seems its different for everyone and everyone says 20mg is beneficial

I felt very little in terms of feeling better on 10mg but did still have side affects. Now 5 days at 30mg and until a short while ago felt rubbish but picked up a bit this last hour. Fingers crossed. X

It is different for everyone. I can't remember the lowest dose which gives a therapeutic effect on citalopram tbh. Follow Dr guidelines on that, but yes, expect side effects....they should ease over time

Thread Information