Thread: Fear of Cars!

Fear of Cars!

I was hit off my bike a year ago by a large van. I sustained serious breaks to my pelvis, sacrum and right clavical. I was hospitalised for 5 weeks and had to lie flat for 3 weeks to mend my bones. Physical recovery is still in process.

I have tried counselling, EMDR therapy and art therapy. I haven't found this to be particularly effective.

I am dealing mostly with the difficulty of the car headlights, cars being within close proximity and being around people I don't trust (this includes friends if they are drunk - I very cautiously expect all drunk people to fall on me). I suppose I fear that everyone wants to break my body. I am very anxious and cautious. I cancel a lot of social events despite being quite extroverted and needing people around me. This is mainly due to anxiety about travel arrangements, especially if they are at night time. These sorts of experiences lead to me having panic attacks, suicidal thoughts and shutting down and cutting myself off from friends and family.

A year has now passed and I am regaining the lost seasons of Autumn and Winter which I missed while on 'bed rest'. The seasonal change this year has made me very nervous. I feel like the time of year is replaying elements of the accident and I am expecting it to happen again.

The whole experience has made me feel so isolated, despite knowing that I have support of some great people around me. My depression is related to not understanding what is happening to me, the panic attacks, the flashbacks, the pain are all so unique to me and I feel so terrified of what exists purely inside my head and that I cannot escape from that and these wonderful people cant protect me from that.

I was wondering if anyone had similar feelings or issues? I would love to know that I am not alone!

Re: Fear of Cars!

You're probably not alone, I have seen stories like yours before. What a terrible experience, I'm glad you made it! A year is a short period, considering.

Quote Originally Posted by rosiebee View Post
    I was hit off my bike a year ago by a large van. I sustained serious breaks to my pelvis, sacrum and right clavical. I was hospitalised for 5 weeks and had to lie flat for 3 weeks to mend my bones. Physical recovery is still in process.

I have tried counselling, EMDR therapy and art therapy. I haven't found this to be particularly effective.

I am dealing mostly with the difficulty of the car headlights, cars being within close proximity and being around people I don't trust (this includes friends if they are drunk - I very cautiously expect all drunk people to fall on me). I suppose I fear that everyone wants to break my body. I am very anxious and cautious. I cancel a lot of social events despite being quite extroverted and needing people around me. This is mainly due to anxiety about travel arrangements, especially if they are at night time. These sorts of experiences lead to me having panic attacks, suicidal thoughts and shutting down and cutting myself off from friends and family.

A year has now passed and I am regaining the lost seasons of Autumn and Winter which I missed while on 'bed rest'. The seasonal change this year has made me very nervous. I feel like the time of year is replaying elements of the accident and I am expecting it to happen again.

The whole experience has made me feel so isolated, despite knowing that I have support of some great people around me. My depression is related to not understanding what is happening to me, the panic attacks, the flashbacks, the pain are all so unique to me and I feel so terrified of what exists purely inside my head and that I cannot escape from that and these wonderful people cant protect me from that.

I was wondering if anyone had similar feelings or issues? I would love to know that I am not alone!
    Sorry to hear about your accident a year ago. The mind is a powerful thing and it's surprising how it can make us feel so horrible. You are certainly not alone. Most people who have been through such a traumatic event go through a similar process. It's a natural reaction from our brain or otherwise it would not make us human. It's only natural for you to be fearful of vehicles after what you've been through. It's only been a year since your accident so give yourself time to recover. Have you ever been assessed for post traumatic stress disorder? It's an anxiety disorder which is caused by a traumatic event such as a road accident which can lead to flashbacks, anxiety, depression, guilt, feelings of isolation and so forth. It sounds to me like you've not fully been through or got over your accident and that's where you need the help. If you're having a tough day, don't keep your feelings in, have a chat with someone and explain how you are feeling and your thoughts. Have you considered exposure therapy with a qualified practitioner? where you slowly expose yourself to your fears (so in this case vehicles) which then should help to ease your anxiety in those fearful situations. Take things slow and concentrate on your recovery. I hope you are ok.
    Last edited by PunkyFish; 13-11-16 at 13:52.

Exposure therapy with a qualified practitioner is probably the way to go.

Thread Information