I am hoping someone on here may have knowledge on boosters... I've had a very confusing experience at the vet and I am having a lot of anxiety that I am being ripped off for money. We just switched to this vet because it was the vet of our new dog.

I don't trust calling our other 2 local vets because I know it is possible they could string me along knowing that I have no idea what the truth it... one of them was also punished for mistreating animals last year so that doesn't help with trust levels.

I have 2 dogs... one I've had for a couple of years and the other for less than a year.

Dog 1: When we got him 3 years ago we had no information on his previous shots. We brought him to a random vet and explained, the vet gave him the standard shots and told us to come back in a year. Life happened and we missed his shots for the next year... at the time of this years vaccinations he was probably about 7 months late.

Dog 2: We got her late last year and was assured by the owners that she was due for her shots in July. Just before her shots were due she got sick, when we went to the vet (her original vet, the one we switched all of our pets to recently) the vet claimed that she wasn't due yet and they'd call us. Well no call came and last month I called them - they then tell me that she was 3 months overdue.

So I brought both of my dogs in for their shots, I was charged $300 (didn't see the bill) and told they'd need to come back in a month for boosters.

They said that because they were both overdue that for the NEXT 3 YEARS they will need to get boosters one month after their shots.

When we brought them in for their boosters I was charged another $300... this time I looked at the bill and was shocked to see that 2/3 vaccinations were listed as 'optional'. I confronted them and they claimed we consented to the unnecessary vaccinations (kennel cough and something bush related).

I know they are lying because these vaccinations aren't necessary for the lifestyle my dogs live... in total I paid an extra $160 in vaccinations that I never consented to and never would have consented to if asked. But according to them I blatantly said yes to all.

Now I am doubting everything they told me about them having to get 2 rounds of shots for the next 3 years. It seems like a money grab to me and I really don't want my dogs to be over vaccinated because they are looking for money.

I could understand them wanting to do a 1 month booster the first time if my dogs were overdue (1 was only 3 months!) but 3 years seems excessive to me.

If anyone has any insights I would appreciate it... I don't know if I should be standing up to the vet and telling them there is no need for doubling the shots for 3 years or if I am just out of touch with what is needed.