Thread: Please help. Freaking out over my antibiotics! why only 7 days??

Please help. Freaking out over my antibiotics! why only 7 days??

Ok. Ive been doing great for awhile with my anxiety. So great that I actually hadn't seen a doctor in over 7 months. But went to a walk in clinic 2 days ago and was diagnosed with mild sinusitis. I had a mild earache and she said there was a tiny bit of fluid. I was prescribed 500mg twice a day for 7 days of amoxicillin clavulanate. When I had sinusitis last year for sinusitis, I was given a 10 day course ! of 500mg THREE times a day. . So why a lower dose for only 10 days? I don't want to get antibiotic resistance or the infection coming back even stronger and it killing me... I can't believe my HA has relapsed so badly :(

Re: Please help. Freaking out over my antibiotics! why only 7 days??

7 days is quite normal, I've never had them for longer. Maybe it just depends on the dr.

Doctors prescribe the lowest effective dose they can. Also, as more information becomes available treatment changes. So perhaps evidence shows that a 10 day course at a higher dose isn't as necessary as previously thought.

And antibiotic resistance doesn't mean the thing you have now is going to suddenly change and kill you. Antibiotic resistance is about changes in how bacteria in general respond to antibiotics in the overall population over a very long period of time.

Doctors are very aware of antibiotic resistance as a science, and prescribe to minimize that effect. But you don't have to worry about the bacteria in your sinuses doing anything more sinister.

I had a course of antibiotics about 5 weeks ago for an abscess, it was 500mg twice a day for 7 days.

You will be absolutely fine, there's nothing to worry about!

7-10 days is the normal range. I am immunosuppressed and infections can go very wrong for me and that's the range I am given.

There are various meds and dosage guidelines depending on the illness and severity. Just take them as directed and you'll be fine.

Positive thoughts
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

Quote Originally Posted by EKB View Post
    Doctors prescribe the lowest effective dose they can. Also, as more information becomes available treatment changes. So perhaps evidence shows that a 10 day course at a higher dose isn't as necessary as previously thought.

And antibiotic resistance doesn't mean the thing you have now is going to suddenly change and kill you. Antibiotic resistance is about changes in how bacteria in general respond to antibiotics in the overall population over a very long period of time.

Doctors are very aware of antibiotic resistance as a science, and prescribe to minimize that effect. But you don't have to worry about the bacteria in your sinuses doing anything more sinister.
    Thanks for your reply

So even though whenever I'm prescribed amoxicillin clavulanate at 500mg three times a day for 10 days, this lower dose for shorter amount of time won't mean it won't work on me? My worry is that my body NEEDS the three times a day for 10 days because that's what it's been use to getting. I've never been prescribed less.

Quote Originally Posted by njon.704 View Post
    Thanks for your reply

So even though whenever I'm prescribed amoxicillin clavulanate at 500mg three times a day for 10 days, this lower dose for shorter amount of time won't mean it won't work on me? My worry is that my body NEEDS the three times a day for 10 days because that's what it's been use to getting. I've never been prescribed less.
    Exactly. It has nothing to do with your body needing something or becoming accustomed to it. It has everything to do with what's the best way to kill off the bacteria in your sinuses based on the best medical research to date.

Quote Originally Posted by EKB View Post
    Exactly. It has nothing to do with your body needing something or becoming accustomed to it. It has everything to do with what's the best way to kill off the bacteria in your sinuses based on the best medical research to date.

I think I get it now. In my head I was thinking that antibiotics were like other pharmaceutical drugs like antidepressants and anti anxiety meds where the dosage needs to be increased because the body gets use to it. I guess because my sinus infection is really mild, she prescribed the lowest and shortest course. Makes more sense now.

I see you're Canadian too! I just moved from BC to Alberta

Yes! I'm in Ontario.

Thread Information