Thread: Are doctors reluctant to prescribe Diazepam? Any alternatives?

Are doctors reluctant to prescribe Diazepam? Any alternatives?

Hi, new to this forum.

I've had bad anxiety for almost 10 years and have finally seen a doctor about it (about a month ago). I was prescribed zoloft but was also given a small amount of diazepam as I was going on holiday for a week.

I'm due to see my doctor again later this week, hoping to increase my dose of sertraline. Anyway, I've found that the diazepam works wonders when I take it before going out. It's 2mg and I was only given 8. I hope to get more this week, but I don't think I'll be given it due to how addictive it is, and the fact that I was given so few.

I've been taking 1 every morning that I plan on leaving the house (which isn't very often). I hadn't taken any for a few days as I was only at home, which was fine, but when I went out without taking any the anxiety was awful. I don't want to take them long term, but how likely does anyone think I'll be to get more? Or are there any alternatives that are fast acting? Got a stressful few months coming up and I don't want to face them alone.

Re: Are doctors reluctant to prescribe Diazepam? Any alternatives?

Let them make the decisions would be my advice.

Its great having temporary "fixes", but it will ultimately lead to worse anxiety and dependency if you become reliant on it.

The goal should be to fix the underlying cause of the anxiety, and not to just gloss over it.

Propanalol might be a worthy alternative, but again, leave it up to them.

Quote Originally Posted by SLA View Post
    Let them make the decisions would be my advice.

Its great having temporary "fixes", but it will ultimately lead to worse anxiety and dependency if you become reliant on it.

The goal should be to fix the underlying cause of the anxiety, and not to just gloss over it.

Propanalol might be a worthy alternative, but again, leave it up to them.
    Yeah I definitely don't want to become reliant on anything, just looking for something short term. However I've been dealing with anxiety for far too long and it's affecting my social life and education, so I'll do anything at this point.

Of course doctors know best, but I can't go on like this. Lets hope my doctor sees where I'm coming from, and that it doesn't look like I'm just out to get meds.

I'm currently seeing a therapist as well, so I hope it helps in the long run.

Quote Originally Posted by Manson View Post
    Hi, new to this forum.

I've had bad anxiety for almost 10 years and have finally seen a doctor about it (about a month ago). I was prescribed zoloft but was also given a small amount of diazepam as I was going on holiday for a week.

I'm due to see my doctor again later this week, hoping to increase my dose of sertraline. Anyway, I've found that the diazepam works wonders when I take it before going out. It's 2mg and I was only given 8. I hope to get more this week, but I don't think I'll be given it due to how addictive it is, and the fact that I was given so few.

I've been taking 1 every morning that I plan on leaving the house (which isn't very often). I hadn't taken any for a few days as I was only at home, which was fine, but when I went out without taking any the anxiety was awful. I don't want to take them long term, but how likely does anyone think I'll be to get more? Or are there any alternatives that are fast acting? Got a stressful few months coming up and I don't want to face them alone.
    Hi Manson. What are your symptoms? What is making you feel so bad? Are they mental or physical symptoms? How comes you waited 10 years before seeing a doctor?

Quote Originally Posted by cjemc View Post
    Hi Manson. What are your symptoms? What is making you feel so bad? Are they mental or physical symptoms? How comes you waited 10 years before seeing a doctor?
    I'm only 20, so when it started I didn't really notice anything was wrong. For the past few years I decided to try and deal with the situation on my own, which was a bad idea and I should have seeked help years ago. Never told anyone about the anxiety either, but a few months ago finally opened up to people and my family's glad I'm getting help.

It's hard to say why I'm nervous when I leave the house. Combination of agoraphobia and paranoia. Even the simple things are difficult for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Manson View Post
    I'm only 20, so when it started I didn't really notice anything was wrong. For the past few years I decided to try and deal with the situation on my own, which was a bad idea and I should have seeked help years ago. Never told anyone about the anxiety either, but a few months ago finally opened up to people and my family's glad I'm getting help.

It's hard to say why I'm nervous when I leave the house. Combination of agoraphobia and paranoia. Even the simple things are difficult for me.
    Yeah I can relate to what you describe.

diazepam will definitely help you leave the house but unfortunately it will be you'll quickly become dependant on it to go out.

my psychiatrist prescribes me diazepam but on a very limited basic. I have it for "emergencies" (which arent really theyre panic attacks). but carrying it with me is reassurance enough most of the time).

as sla says let the professionals decide.

good luck

Quote Originally Posted by skymaid View Post
    diazepam will definitely help you leave the house but unfortunately it will be you'll quickly become dependant on it to go out.

my psychiatrist prescribes me diazepam but on a very limited basic. I have it for "emergencies" (which arent really theyre panic attacks). but carrying it with me is reassurance enough most of the time).

as sla says let the professionals decide.

good luck
    I was prescribed it for the same reason - panic attacks. I'm thinking so long as I don't take it every day it'll be fine. I'll see what happens this week

Thread Information