Thread: Urinary Retention

Urinary Retention

Hi all, sorry if this is the wrong forum, I wasn't sure which one to post it in.

Is anyone else getting frequent urination and particularly urinary retention (feeling that you haven't cleared your bladder when peeing)? I've read it can be caused by anxiety but, as is typical, I've convinced myself I've got prostate or bladder cancer....
    Last edited by fadedaway; 08-11-16 at 02:15.

Re: Urinary Retention

Hi there.

I believe the feeling you have can be caused by a multitude of things - many of which are minor. I'd go to your GP for a work up including a urinalysis.

Anxiety can cause all types of problems and unfortunately we tend to believe we have very serious health conditions when they are generally not. The anxiety just makes things feel that much worse.

Also I think with bladder cancer you generally see blood in your urine and may have pain while you urinate. As for prostate cancer, I know less but I don't think frequent urination is a key symptom.

Yes, I have had this on and off since I was a teen. Just in the past couple of months it seems to have gotten more frequent and it happens mostly at night. I can't work out whether I'm focusing so much on my bladder that I am creating the problem in my head! I often get the feeling of irritation too. I have just stopped taking a medication as I have heard that this could be the cause. Fingers crossed. I have been told it could be something I'm eating that is irritating the bladder like coffee, chocolate, tomatoes and sweeteners. I haven't been able to cut all these out successfully yet to try it because most of what I cook is tomato based and I love chocolate! I'll let you know if I have any joy with finding a solution.

Quote Originally Posted by fadedaway View Post
    Hi all, sorry if this is the wrong forum, I wasn't sure which one to post it in.

Is anyone else getting frequent urination and particularly urinary retention (feeling that you haven't cleared your bladder when peeing)? I've read it can be caused by anxiety but, as is typical, I've convinced myself I've got prostate or bladder cancer....
    Do you mind if I ask how old you are? Also having prostate problems doesn't always mean the C word. I am asking about your age as prostate problems are very common in older men and my hubby has been through this.

Thread Information