Thread: Painful pressure when swallowing!?

Painful pressure when swallowing!?

Last Tuesday afternoon I started to have a bit of a sore throat, then on Wednesday - Friday I was home sick with a very high fever, sore throat, headaches, etc.

I went to the doctor, got antibiotics and just rested. I got a little better but would still have a fever at the end of the day.

Yesterday I went back to the doctor and she basically said I had to let things run their course. At that point I was mostly dealing with fever/headaches as well as drainage and a cough but my sore throat was gone.

Today my sore throat is back and it's weird. It's not just irritation really, but it's more like pressure in my throat and painful pressure whenever I swallow or talk or press on my throat in that specific area. It's kind of like the feeling of having a lump in your throat, but more painful and I'm pretty sure it's not anxiety related.

Of course I googled and all sorts of scary things came up so now I'm freaking out a bit.

Has anyone had this before? If it persists I'll probably go back to the doctor again tomorrow or Friday but this is just such an odd symptom and I'm really nervous it's something super sinister.
    Sometimes I fly like an eagle, sometimes I'm deep in despair.

Re: Painful pressure when swallowing!?

Sounds like you already know what to do. Let it run its course as the doctor says. If it does persist, go back. But it won't be anything nasty. Just a bit of swelling as your immune system fights the infection.

If it hurts you could take painkillers, but try not to worry. And don't believe a word Google tells you!

Quote Originally Posted by ServerError View Post
    Sounds like you already know what to do. Let it run its course as the doctor says. If it does persist, go back. But it won't be anything nasty. Just a bit of swelling as your immune system fights the infection.

If it hurts you could take painkillers, but try not to worry. And don't believe a word Google tells you!
    Thanks. If it were something I'd dealt with before I wouldn't worry nearly as much!

The hardest part is that I can feel pressure when I talk, so I'm afraid to talk. It's kind of a personal flashback for me to several years ago when, for some reason, I was just convinced I was going to permanently lose my voice. Silly fear, but it's back again.

You're right, it's probably not the serious things that Google is telling me, it's just so hard not to freak out when it's something new and unfamiliar.

Bear in mind that the symptom you're describing is vague. You could easily link it to all sorts of horror stories because so many things could appear to match the description. But the fact you've had a cold tells you what's going on. It's extremely rare for young people to have serious illnesses in their throats.

Try to recognise that this is your anxiety misinforming you. You'll be absolutely fine and will probably wonder what all the fuss was about once it's gone.

It's probably just inflammation. You've got lymph nodes in those areas. Infections cause such temporary swelling.

I've had it many times myself.

I have gone in several times this year for my throat Dr said it is a bad season for sore throats and colds. They just keep coming back for alot of people. And anxiety can make it hard to swallow too.

Thanks all. I am happy to say it lasted all of two days and then went away completely

Knew it would!

Thread Information