Thread: Mirtazapine 45mg

Mirtazapine 45mg

Hi everyone

I'd had enough of mirtazapine sedative effects at 30mg, and in attempt to reclaim life outside of sedation I stopped taking it. This was under advice of a locum and of course was devastating.
    Since I have managed to see my usual doctor and am back on 30mg. He has given me 'free reign' to try and find a dose that doesn't turn me into a zombie.

I've tried taking 45mg but on the first night slept for 16 hours through 4 alarms. On the second night I had a bout of nausea ( I am severe emetophobic) but I hear that mirtazapine does not cause nausea so perhaps this was related to anxiety.

Does anybody take mirtazapine and manage to have normal waking hours? I am so tired and have no social life as I'm almost always sleeping.
    Should I persevere with 45mg?

Thanks all

Re: Mirtazapine 45mg

Hi ItShouldGetBetter,

You haven't said how long you have been taking mirtazapine. You should give it a couple of weeks to settle in before making a final decision. I'd try going down to a low dose to see how that affects you - say 15 mg per day - and go from there. I know some people say it's more sedating at a lower dose, but that's based on two different effects countering each other, which aren't necessarily the same for everyone. Also, there is some evidence that tolerance to the antihistamine effect which is so sedating in the first few days builds fairly quickly after one to two weeks (but a serotonin effect remains, which is calming).

As for me, I'm taking 45 mg per day, and woke up at 5.00 am this morning, absolutely wide awake, so I read a book in bed till it was time to get up - so there's hope out there.

Sorry for the lack of information and thank you for your reply!

I was taking 15mg for about a year, then 30mg for 5/6 months.
    It's a relief to hear that on 45mg you can wake up bright and early. I used to be perfectly conscious on 5 or 6 hours of sleep but now sleep over 12!

Hi ItShouldGetBetter,

It sounds like you have been on the mirtazapine merry-go-round for some time, and so are well past startup effects. If you want to make changes in dosage, particularly downward, you should taper. There are all sorts of protocols for this, but fundamentally you reduce/increase the dose gradually. Because mirtazaapine has a relatively long half-life, it's possible to skip/reduce/increase a dose on alternate days, and so on. If changes are abrupt, you are likely to notice them more.

I was on mostly 45mgs for years and slept like a log. Now I have cut down to 15mgs I am waking up at least 2 hours earlier which is good. So the lower dose is better for me. Have seen no increase in anxiety symptoms but found it tough-ish to get from 45 to 15 so remaining at 15mgs for a good 6 months before taking it down further.

Thread Information