Thread: Citalopram and Propranolol and Zopiclone ?

Citalopram and Propranolol and Zopiclone ?

Hi all, ive been suffering with Anxiety for a good few years now which is mainly brought on at Work meetings and courses like first aid and such, The doctor has given me 10mg Propranolol which ive been taking for a few months and now 10mg Citalopram, Im on day 6 and cannot sleep so now ive been given Zopiclone to help me sleep when i really need it, surely all these should not be mixed, im so scared i'll have a heart attack!!
    any views welcome

Daz

Re: Citalopram and Propranolol and Zopiclone ?

Yes they can and are designed too. Your GP should know what can and cannot be mixed.

I have a great GP who I trust and I was on 40mg Cit daily and 20mg of Prop 3 times a day, I was ok on it, tired, but ok.

Re: Citalopram and Propranolol and Zopiclone ?

Hi Daz,

Yes, there are some interactions, as below:

Moderate
    propranolol citalopram
    Applies to: propranolol, citalopram

Using propranolol together with citalopram may increase the effects of propranolol. Contact your doctor if you experience uneven heartbeats, shortness of breath, bluish-colored fingernails, dizziness, weakness, fainting, or seizure (convulsions). If your doctor does prescribe these medications together, you may need a dose adjustment or special test to safely use both medications. It is important to tell your doctor about all other medications you use, including vitamins and herbs. Do not stop using any medications without first talking to your doctor.

AND

Moderate
    citalopram eszopiclone
    Applies to: citalopram, eszopiclone

Using citalopram together with eszopiclone may increase side effects such as dizziness, drowsiness, confusion, and difficulty concentrating. Some people, especially the elderly, may also experience impairment in thinking, judgment, and motor coordination. You should avoid or limit the use of alcohol while being treated with these medications. Also avoid activities requiring mental alertness such as driving or operating hazardous machinery until you know how the medications affect you. Talk to your doctor if you have any questions or concerns. It is important to tell your doctor about all other medications you use, including vitamins and herbs. Do not stop using any medications without first talking to your doctor.

I've used eszopiclone because that's they are so similar licencing won't allow both versions in countries normally as there is no point. In the US they use this one and it's a US database I got this info off.

Bare in mind that a Moderate interaction can be found against many things and as long as a GP is ok with it, they will keep an eye on things. As an example, alcohol & Cit have a Moderate interaction yet millions of people have a few beers on such a common antidepressant without any issues (other than the alcohol can impact on their anxiety, which depends on many things).

Thread Information