Thread: Polyps found in smear test

Polyps found in smear test

Hi there I'm hoping someone can help

About 5 years ago my mum had her routine smear test which was fine but the nurse found a polyp when my mum asked what would be done the nurse said oh nothing its fine to stay there

Shes had her next one today and was seen by a different nurse who has said it needs to come out and she would be referred within two weeks.

Does this mean the first nurse hasnt done her job properly by not referring her 5 years ago or is this new nurse making something out of nothing? Id never even heard of polyps before so i dont have much knowledge does anyone have or had one that wasnt removed

Id just like some reasurence really as i feel panicked now that the nurse has let it stay in my mum for 5 bloody years

Re: Polyps found in smear test

Is the polyp on her cervix or in her uterus? I had a friend who had a pretty large polyp removed from her uterus 2 years ago, totally benign.

I think it was cervix im more worried its been left for five years and nothing has been done :'(

Most polyps are benign Hun but as they stick out sometimes they get irritated and can bleed etc. It's probably getting removed for a reason like that. Could your mum call the surgery and ask the nurse why she wanted to remove it? It might put your mind at ease xx

I had intermittent bleeding for 18 months and was finally diagnosed with a 2.5cm polyp. It was removed and completely benign. It is likely that it has got a bit bigger so they want it removed. I was also referred on a two week wait but it was mainly so it could be done with quickly rather than suspecting anything nasty. Although I had of course braced myself for a nasty diagnosis!

Quote Originally Posted by Miss.Katyy1990 View Post
    Hi there I'm hoping someone can help

About 5 years ago my mum had her routine smear test which was fine but the nurse found a polyp when my mum asked what would be done the nurse said oh nothing its fine to stay there

Shes had her next one today and was seen by a different nurse who has said it needs to come out and she would be referred within two weeks.

Id just like some reasurence really as i feel panicked now that the nurse has let it stay in my mum for 5 bloody years
    Miss.Katy I am not understanding why she's having a nurse do this and why is a nurse prescribing surgery? I would ask for her Drs opinion, I do not think nurses are qualified to make this types of decisions.

Quote Originally Posted by NancyW View Post
    Miss.Katy I am not understanding why she's having a nurse do this and why is a nurse prescribing surgery? I would ask for her Drs opinion, I do not think nurses are qualified to make this types of decisions.

Hi nancyW
    The nurse said she would write on her notes about the polyp and the doctor would refer her? I think because the nurse done the smear test thatd why she suggested it....shes had no bleeding or symptomns from it so i find it weird that they want to take it out considering its been there 5 years or more possibly and the last nurse was so causal about -.-

I know this is very worrisome for you, I can understand why, but please try and be patient until you hear from the Dr.

Hello there again

Tried to get an app for the GP as they don't do phone apps anymore next one is in a months time -.- not very helpful.

My mum had her click and book letter come through and it's booked for January 17th. So I guess we will have to wait until then

Theres always bloody something :'(

Hi

This is just a courtesy reply to let you know that your post was moved from its original place to a sub-forum that is more relevant to your issue.

This is nothing personal - it just enables us to keep posts about the same problems in the relevant forums so other members with any experience with the issues can find them more easily.

“Don't be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live.” - Natalie Babbitt

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

Thread Information