Thread: Agoraphobia

Agoraphobia

Hey,
    Iv had agoraphobia for 10 months now and am fully housebound, I can't go any further than the end of the drive, no matter how much I want to.
    I REALLY want to go to college in september, but the college I'll be going to is in the next city. About an hours train ride away (I hate trains).
    So that means not only being well enough to go out everyday, to college, but also travelling for 2 hours a day on a train. People keep telling me to just focus on getting better and stop thinking about what I want to do after I'm better.
    Is it totally unrealistic to think I'd be well enough to do this in 5 months? 'cos it seems so far fetched and unlikely but it's something I really want.
    thanks, lol. = )
    xxx xxx xxx xxx.

Re: Agoraphobia

im the same as you, as i said on your other thread check out that course. in think the only way you'll (and i) will get to college is to face those dam irrational fears. you shouild do something everyday that scares you. go to the end of your drive, and sit there for a while, if you panic stay until its over. its hard work but the only way to get over it. ha, dont know why im saying this cos im too scared to too but it really is the only way. have you tried hypnotherapy??? might really help. good luck

Hiya.

I took a year out of university before going back. 5 months before that I was still agoraphobic. No - it's not unrealistic, but you will need to push yourself a little further every day. Keep experimenting and going that bit further. 5 months is enough time to get yourself to a place where you are able to do this course. If you don't get there this time, that's ok. Can you start the course at a later date? I think you will know when you are ready to go. You may not be 100% cured, but you don't need to be.

I was supposed to go back after 4 months, then 8 months, and then a year. At a year I knew I was ready and well prepared for it. It was hard but worth every second of the hard work it took.

Good luck and keep posting to let us know how you're getting on. You can do it!!

Quote Originally Posted by honeybee View Post
    im the same as you, as i said on your other thread check out that course. in think the only way you'll (and i) will get to college is to face those dam irrational fears. you shouild do something everyday that scares you. go to the end of your drive, and sit there for a while, if you panic stay until its over. its hard work but the only way to get over it. ha, dont know why im saying this cos im too scared to too but it really is the only way. have you tried hypnotherapy??? might really help. good luck
    Hey HoneyBee, do you know the website for the course?

http://paniccenter.net/

looks like there's a lot of hard work involved. looks like we'll have to really push ouselves. if you do it maybe we could pm each other to give each other suppot??? good luck

yeah sure = )
    I'll let ya know if I do it!

Thread Information