Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Getting valium diazepam on repeat presciption

Getting valium diazepam on repeat presciption

I am very annoyed

I agreed with my psychiatrist that I would get 5 tablets a month of valium in emergency to take on a an as and when needed basis

went to my chemist today to pick up the script and they wont give me them , they say I have to make an appointment EVERY BLOODY month to get them

what a waste of resources and what a bad thing for my psychiatrist to do, agree for me to have easy access so If I need em, ive got em....obviously not in a large ammount....then say I need an appointment every month, meaning wasting my time and he NHS

Does anyone get small amounts on repeat so u dont have to have an appointment every month, its demeaning

Re: Getting valium diazepam on repeat presciption

Hi Frankie

I'm allowed 14 every six months or so and have to go back and see GP for another prescription. I had to fight tooth and nail to get access to this so I'm not surprised you're not on repeat. Doctors seem to hate giving them yet offer nothing as susbstitute (eg CBT). I agree tho, it does seem to be a waste of resources.

Kay x

I think they like to check you are ok so just being responsible about it.

“Don't be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live.” - Natalie Babbitt

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

Sorry, but I think your practice is being very responsible. I know it is only a small amount, but like any medication that is for our mental well being, doctors have to monitor it.
    I have lived with someone who was given anti depressants and tranquilisers on repaeat prescription. I think it was completely irresponsible of his docs.
    I get anti depressants and anti psychotics, neither are addictive but the doc still has to see me once a month.
    Also, you say they are for emergency only? So some months you might not use them? Doctors worry about people stock piling drugs like valium, just in case you get very down.

Happyone
    xx

I've been through some terrible things in my life, some of which actually happened.
    —Mark Twain

understand that but I am very annoyed that every month I can go through the relative ease of phoning up my chemist yet have to make an appointment to see my doctor

its like a constant reminder of illness and helplessness and the power of the doctors

trust is out of the window

Hi, I get them from my gp in larger quantities as he knows that I don't take too many (in fact I have a box full of them under my bed!). It takes time for them to know that they're not abused. You may find that after a few months he might be able to give you more, or put them on repeat. IN my experience (which covers several years) they're happy to put antids on repeat but not benzos because of their addictive qualities.

I too get mine on repeat prescription every month..60 of them!!!My dr never offered any treatment or even explained what was the matter with me!!!So i can see both sides of this.Not till i found this site did i know i had a recognised condition!! I take the tablets very rarely now,and have a few left over evey month but i was given them 18 ears ago,with no explanation of how they can be pchycologically addictive!!I think drs now are very careful about replacing one problem with another!I too feel that when your dr sees you are ok with the 5 tabs .he may very well put them on repeat for you..they have to cover their asses to be frank!Love Paddie.xxxxxxxxxxx

This is a tricky one Frankie - I really do see where you are coming from in not liking having to see someone every month etc and I'm sure I would feel the same.

I do have to say though my mum takes valium daily and has been allowed to do this for 30 years which I totally disaprove of!!!!!

When she first felt bad with her nerves all that time ago anxiety was a hush hush thing and valium was handed out like sweets and now she is in her 70's they think it would be too cruel to try and wean her off them.

While they do have a valuable part to play they are also addictive and like any addiction bloody unpleasent to stop!!

I would say that now we realise the pitfalls it is every doctors duty to be responsible with these tablets and ensure everything else is also being tried too.

Love Piglet

Hey guys , i have to say i agree with happy one,

Yes diazapam are fantastic for helping with anxiety, BUT and this is the down side, they can actaully bring on anxiety if you are on long term use,

think of a smoker craving a cig, its the same thing.

one of the docs in my local practise informed me of this, which is why they dont like giving them out.

he suggested trying buspar, which works the same as diazapam, yet is non addictive , and takes awhile longer to get into your system, as it needs to build up gradually.

i am on 1 5mg tab every 2 days.

Might be an idea discussing this with your doc.

Tricky one indeed, but personally I don't think that amount on repeat is a problem. As for stockpiling 6 a month, I pretty sure the O/D threshold for Diazepam is exceptionally high. It think its more a question of the personal injury you can cause yourself if you take too many - its very east to trip, fall, walk into walls, roads etc on high doses of Diazepam, thats if they don't put you to sleep first because they are a hypnotic too.

Ask your psychiatrist for a repeat. I've got a stash of diazepam off the black market as my doc wouldn't prescribe them for more than 2 days. Please don't anyone ask Q's about how / where etc, I self medicate (very rarely and responsibly), not drug deal.

The bottom line is, its not a lot, its not unreasonable, and I think if you maybe had another word with your psychiatrist you may get a more positive response.

Krakers.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information