Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Electroconvulsive Therapy - My Story

Electroconvulsive Therapy - My Story

They don't really have a Forumn heading for this, so I have decided to stick it under medication.

As some of you may know, I have suffered with extreme anxiety since July. The psychiatrist has called it 'anxious depression'. I have tried a whole lot of medication and CBT and nothing has worked. I guess I'm what they call treatment resistant. I have been hospitalised for the last 2.5 weeks, where we have tried various medications and at this point, I have gone backwards rather than forwards.

The psych suggested that she thinks I would benefit from ECT and after researching it, I have decided to proceed.

So in order to get ready for it, I was required to have an ECG, a full blood test and this afternoon I will be getting a ct scan.

Tomorrow I will have my first session. The psychiatrist has gone through all the risks and what I can expect. I will try and update on how it all goes. Obviously memory can be affected, especially short term, so hopefully I remember to update. I am going to write myself lots of little notes so I have reminders of things that have happened over the last few days.

Re: Electroconvulsive Therapy - My Story

Hi Tracy.
    Good luck with your ect therapy. It will be interesting to follow your journey and might help others who are considering it. I truly hope it helps you. Thinking of you x

Good luck with the treatment, Tracy. I understand this type of treatment is for more refractory cases and usually seen more in depression treatment but if they think it can help, it's got to be worth a try? There are celebrities that have had it and talked about the short term memory loss thing but they seemed to indicate they were fine afterwards. It will certainly be interesting to hear what happens.

It's really nice Karina is willing to visit you too. A bit of support for both of you there as you both are going through so much right now.

I am thinking of you sweetheart. It will go ok I know it I will.

I wish you the best. I have seen a good number of people see positive results with ECT that didn't respond to other treatments.

I had my first session this morning. I slept badly and woke up lots of times (even with extra medication to sleep). The came and got me about 6.15am. It was down this really dark little hall of the hospital and it made me want to run the other way. Once I was in the actual room part, it was like a doctors surgery with a waiting area. I signed some forms and then went and lay on the bed ready. My psych hadn't signed some part of the form, so they had to ring her. At this point, I was wondering if this was a sign that I shouldn't go ahead with it. After that was all sorted, I was wheeled into another room. They put little pads (like you have with an ECG) all over me. They put a Canula in and I think this had the muscle relaxant in it, plus they put in something to stop nausea and headaches. They put an oxygen mask over my face and told me to breath in and that I will fall asleep. That is the last thing I remember. I woke up, the asked me if I know where I am, which I did. I was a bit groggy and had felt like I had been there for the day. I asked what the time was and it was 7.30am. So it was less than and hour from when I got in there to when I woke up. I had something to eat and then went back to my room. I felt a little weak in my legs and since returning to my room, I have had a dull head ache and a small amount of muscles soreness. Like how you feel two days after the gym. I had a lay down for a few hours and am feeling okay now. I haven't noticed any memory loss, but I believe the more sessions you have is when you start to have some memory loss. It's hard to tell if there has been any change in my mood as yet. I definately still have anxiety. I guess all I can do is give it a go and see if it works. I'm not sure how many sessions I will need. Next session is Friday. They do three sessions a week, Monday, Wednesday and Friday.

Glad to hear there are no ill effects
    Hang in there

Don't be afraid that your life will end, be afraid that it will never begin.

Quote Originally Posted by flipp View Post
    Hi Tracy. I am having a day off from the hospital today, I needed a break,it is draining on me and seeing my little girl so bloody sick has given me rotten anxiety,but have to keep myself active and reading positive thoughts.

I am sorry you are going through such a bad time, I do know much about ECT,but hope you benefit from it.
    I have written down the hospital you are in and if all goes well with you, I could visit on Saturday.

You take care,and you Will be home with your family soon.
    Love Karina.xx
    Karina! I am thinking and praying for you and your daughter. I hope she improves soon. Some times life just doesn't seem to be fair. I have my next session of ECT on Friday, so will let you know how I am feeling after that and if it works in with you, it would be great to see you on Saturday.

Please don't go out of your way for me though when your daughter is sick. lol after yourself Karina. I know it's hard when your child is sick and you are also. Try to get some rest when you can.

Thinking of you both xx

Glad to here it went well. Happy you didn't get any bad side effects,

Day 2 - No ECT today. Feeling okay. Think my mood has lifted a little. The last few days I haven't really felt like doing anything or having any visitors. Today I have been to the cafe and am working on my CBT booklet, also my Dad is coming for a visit today. The only side effects I have from yesterday is a really sore neck. If I bend it right back, forward and from side to side, than it feels tender. That is pretty much it. Headache has gone. No memory problems at all yet. Next session tomorrow.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information