Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Electroconvulsive Therapy - My Story

Re: Electroconvulsive Therapy - My Story

Have a nice visit with your dad.Glad your mood has lifted some.

Glad it seems to be alright so far!

Day 3 - Session No 2. I have decided I'm not a fan. I had to fast from midnight and didn't go in until 10.30am. I was a nervous wreck by that time, because you can't take any medication because you go under a general anaesthetic. I think that is the worst part. Especially when you wake up disoriented and with high anxiety. I took my medication when I got back and the anxiety has lessened a little. I really want to get out of here, so am hopefull that after next Friday I can. On Monday of next week will be the 3 week mark. I admitted myself voluntarily, but need the doctor to sign off on me going home and to write up my medications, so it's not like you can just walk out when you think you're ready...which I know I am not right now. I always feel really crap straight after the ECT, but it seems to improve my mood. Fingers crossed that this works for my anxiety, even though I hate it, because I desperately want to get home a couple of weeks before Christmas.

I hope it works for you! I expect you will feel the effects of the anaesthetic as well so a few things to recover from. Lets hope for home soon xo

Just caught this one. I wish you all the best, I am sure something good will come of it.

Same here thought they had stopped this procedure years ago I wouldn't fancy electrodes on my head but hey if it works for you then great Good luck with being discharged too X

I hope you feel better And I support any treatment you choose. I really wished I lived by you so I could visit.
    Last edited by dale12345; 02-12-16 at 21:06.

Hope you're home soon Tracy

Don't be afraid that your life will end, be afraid that it will never begin.

Day 4. No ECT today. Felt really off today, not sure if it was from the ECT yesterday, or just a bad day. High anxiety on waking. Because I was taking Valium and then Clonazepam which are both long acting, I have been changed to Oxazepam (Serax) as it is shorter acting. I can't have a long acting Benzo (anti convulsant) in my system. I'm wondering if the change is why my anxiety seems to be sky high at the moment. Even though I don't like it (the ECT), I'm going to give 6 sessions a go (so far I have done 2). If there isn't an improvement, by then, then we will have to look at other options. My guess is that I will be here for another two weeks.

Thanks everyone for your kind words and support. I feel I have to at least give this is shot. Fingers crossed it gives my brain a recharge that will help with response to anti depressants. My grandmother suffered with depression and was treated with ECT also and it was beneficial for her, so I'm hoping for a good outcome. The response rate is quite high for depression, up to 80%. It's not as scary as it sounds.

I am sorry your anxiety is so bad. I hope it gets better. I know how frustrating it can be.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread Information