Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Electroconvulsive Therapy - My Story

Re: Electroconvulsive Therapy - My Story

I am actually thinking of trying again myself.

I will let you know at the end of the week Beth how it is going. It will be 5 treatments by then. It sucks straight after it, because you feel out of it for a few hours, but it seems to lift my mood. Hope you are doing okay xx

Day 5. ECT day today. What a shocker. Woke up with anxiety through the roof. They do checks every two hours, so I always seem to get woken up around 5. Couldn't take anything for the anxiety because you have to fast the morning of the ECT. By the time I got in there I was in tears. You get allocated a time. I was at 9.15am. 6.15am is the best time to do it...get in early and get it out of the way. The anxiety mixed with the general anaesthetic and the ECT itself leaves you feeling pretty scattered when you come out, but after a couple of hours you get your bearings again. I had a bit of a dull headache for most of the day. It does seem to lift my mood though. I can definately feel a change after I've had it. Unfortunately, it hasn't really impacted my anxiety too much as yet.
    Last edited by Mermaid16; 05-12-16 at 06:27.

I really hope this helps you and thanks for the update.

Day 6. No ECT today. Still waking up with massive panic attacks in the morning. The oxazepam is the only thing that touches it and makes it a little better. I also started on the Nortriptyline today, 25mg morning and night. I think the psych wants to take me off the Mirtazapine and swap to this. Sick of being in hospital. That time of the month today, so am hoping that the morning anxiety starts to decrease a little now. I'm always worse a few days before they arrive.

Sorry about the panic attacks are so bad right now, maybe it will get better in a few days. I hope the switch to Nortriptyline helps also.

Quote Originally Posted by Mermaid16 View Post
    Day 6. No ECT today. Still waking up with massive panic attacks in the morning. The oxazepam is the only thing that touches it and makes it a little better. I also started on the Nortriptyline today, 25mg morning and night. I think the psych wants to take me off the Mirtazapine and swap to this. Sick of being in hospital. That time of the month today, so am hoping that the morning anxiety starts to decrease a little now. I'm always worse a few days before they arrive.
    Hang in there Tracy
    Thinking of you

Don't be afraid that your life will end, be afraid that it will never begin.

Thanks Phil and Beth for thinking of me

Day 7. ECT session number 4 today. Still hating it. I always go off under the anaesthetic bawling my eyes out. I know it's stupid, but the feeling of waking up anxious and out of it is not fun. Today is the first time I think it has affected my memory. When I went to get my medications, I couldn't remember the name of them and a few times since then I have thought about something, but can't remember what it is called etc. I can still remember everything that happens in the day, but some things take me a while to think of them. I don't feel like there is an improvement, but the doctor says I don't look as anxious after the treatment. Number 5 or 6 is where they will start to see some improvement. So fingers crossed it works. In any case, I had to give it a shot or I would never have known if it would work. Sick of being in hospital and just want to go home, but know I will have to be patient.

Sorry honey, I hope you feel better.

I'm getting out of hospital on Thursday. I have been in for four weeks, so I am more than ready. I had to get transferred to another hospital last night. The medication the doctor prescribed made my blood pressure really low. I had to get a bag of fluid and then I was good to go. I didn't get much sleep last night and am knackered today. But only three more nights sleep and I can go home. Hopefully it has done its job and I am able to get back to some kind of normal when I get home.

I've got everything crossed for you Tracy

Don't be afraid that your life will end, be afraid that it will never begin.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information