Thread: So-called relatives

So-called relatives

I have very few relatives and now someone has contacted me on Facebook and I feel very disturbed of it, nothing good can ever come out of being contacted by ones relatives (in my world). I don't have a big family network, and those few distant ones there were weren't any good to have around for all sorts of reasons. I wasn't aware that people can comment on other people's official post on Facebook and now this person have (I tried to ignore a message I saw in my inbox first but it didn't work). I hope I won't be stalked. I feel terrible over this. I always feel threatend if I hear about relatives, more likely than not they're intrusive and non-emphatic, this is how it was in the past anyway. Now some guy wrote, someone I never met and claims he's a cousin of my dad's (but on FB who knows really) and in my world cousins and second-cousins are as distant as the moon. I have no feeling of closeness to any relatives, no recollection of them, don't know what they look like, and don't know how it is to be "close" as relatives. OK, I might have seen him once when I was nine in 1973 or thereabouts, but I have no recollection of it whatsoever. I shut down my Facebook, withdrew all posts and stuff.

Re: So-called relatives

know what you mean about relatives (not sure if family members count or not?) And sorry to those who do use FB But I cant stand the site for lots of reasons . Thought you could block users posts on there?? Or at least report it to a mod? Personaly I think you have done the right thing in closing your FB page down, too many people rely on Social Media when you cant beat seeing some one in person for a good ole chin wag

Re: So-called relatives

It's not entirely closed down because I follow some pages where people post pictures of their dogs, their photos of scenic views, and sewing tips, and a couple of similar sites. But for all practical purposes, I shut it. (I have another family now, but I get sort of stressed out and panic when being reminded about my biologic family, especially if there is some sort of implicit requirement of having to say or claim to remember "how great it was in the old days". I'm 52, so it's not like it happened yesterday, but is still difficult.)

---

I'm thankful that I learned English as a second language so I can read about issues and remedies on the Internet (otherwise I'd be confined to my own little narrow language), but the drawback is that I've read a little bit too many articles like these two (hundreds of them, probably):
    1) http://standalone.org.uk/guides/adultchildren/
    2) https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3725219/

Thread Information