Thread: Could i live off meal replacements?

Could i live off meal replacements?

Does anyone know if I could live off meal replacement shakes, multivitamins, ect? I know when you have anxiety to something(in my case choking) you're supposed to face it but at this moment seeing as I'm barely eating it would probably be healthier for me than what I'm currently doing and I've had this fear since I was 7 and I can't shake it no matter how hard I try, was just wondering if a liquid diet is possible x

Re: Could i live off meal replacements?

This would be the wrong approach. You're absolutely right in that avoidance is a bad idea. It will only make your problem worse.

Your body needs solids. Even vitamin pills are not considered to be as beneficial as a diet that delivers the save vitamins. You need a healthy, balanced diet, regardless of whether you have anxiety or not.

Please reconsider this idea, work on your anxiety and start eating a wide range of nutritious foods (you can still eat chocolate and burgers from time to time if you want to). Believe me, the better you look after yourself, the better it will be for your physical and mental health.

See if you can find a doctor who would suggest a liquid diet to a healthy individual. I bet you can't.

To be honest, if it gets you your daily allowance of calories and nutrition, I would say go for it.

Because getting adequate fuel is essential for overcoming anxiety.

Sure its not ideal, but it could be a basis for getting your confidence back to eat normally again.

<<Not an expert though obviously!!!

Unfortunately these types of drinks (meal replacement) are only a short term solution. If you consumed them regularly and for over more than a couple of weeks, you would get stomach cramps and diaorreah.
    Can you try thick soups maybe , dipped in soft bread, and work your way up to sandwiches eventually? Or mashed potato with slow cooked beef casserole, cottage pie etc? Softer foods?

Could you live? Sure. Is that living? Not in the least. I actually lived off of liquid meal replacements through a PEG tube after my cancer treatment as I could not eat. I'll take eating real food any day!

There are many unfortunate people that have no choice but you do. If given the choice to treat your anxiety and be able to enjoy food or giving it up and remain in an anxious state the rest of your life drinking shakes, I hope you make the obvious and wise choice.

Positive thoughts
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

I did it for a few weeks back when I wanted to lose weight (now with anxiety I lost it without even trying!)
    You can surely live on it. Many people do it for months!
    However prepare for the daily headaches, being cranky and especially the first few days getting sugar detox symptoms. It's not a walk in the park.

Huel.com is meant to be able to be used permanently and provides everything you need.

I've often wondered this. My willpower is often rubbish and I wonder whether I will ever be able to lose weight :(

Then I think, what if I just lived off meal replacements, could that, would that work ???

i have no idea. I guess it might be dangerous because i would end up deficient of some minerals and vitamins, roughage, something I guess

It does feel like an option as I think with my lack of willpower I could programme myself just to eat meal replacements.

Thanks for all your input everyone!
    i guess I'm just getting a little tired because i work up to eating an average amount and then i fail and have to start all over again, i have been since i was 7 and it's just getting a little tedious, i honestly don't believe I'm at the point where i can do it myself anymore, i like the soup suggestion but as far as bread I'm a long way from that in fact i honestly don't believe I'll ever have bread again lol i get exactly where you're coming from Fishman and i know i shouldn't be selfish i just guess i get a little tired sometimes

Thread Information