Thread: Oral Cancer fears

Oral Cancer fears

I found small indent on my hard palate about a month ago. It is as though someone scratched out a small chunk. I went to the dentist today and he took x-rays but couldn't tell me anything conclusive. I have an impacted canine (despite being 39) and he thinks there is a chance it has ulcerated above the roof of my mouth, but the thing is, it is pretty far back, almost at my soft palate. He can't be sure and so he has referred me to the surgeon on December 12th! I am a wreck. I was so hoping he would just say, "you've scratched your mouth, it's nothing to worry about".

I am non-smoker, so I know my oral cancer risk is low, and the dentist surely would have been able to tell if it was something more sinister, but my mind just won't stop going to those dark places.

Re: Oral Cancer fears

Thing is, if he had said "there's nothing to worry about", the HA mindset will still have your worrying "What if he missed something". He did the right thing with the referral and it will just confirm there's nothing to worry about, especially based on your risk factors.

Positive thoughts
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

Quote Originally Posted by Fishmanpa View Post
    Thing is, if he had said "there's nothing to worry about", the HA mindset will still have your worrying "What if he missed something". He did the right thing with the referral and it will just confirm there's nothing to worry about, especially based on your risk factors.

Positive thoughts
    That's the thing - my logical brain can see you are right, but my HA just can't let the fear go. I am a stay at home mom, and my husband works out of state, and when it's just me and the kids I can't help but obsess on all this. I have a therapist, but since my husbands transfer it's very hard to go see her! I have anxiety meds, but can't take them because I don't know what their effect will be, and I am alone with kids.

I just keep thinking that this is going to be my last Christmas with my kids, and then I tell myself not to be so ridiculous, he said it isn't likely to be cancer! But I don't seem to be able to believe myself!

I can so relate to you right now. Except I have one tonsil that is bigger than the other. My left is normal and my right is swollen a big. Its freaking me out.

What did it end up being? I have the same thing going on right now, and I'm so worried >.<

Thread Information