Thread: 10mg of propranolol not enough?

10mg of propranolol not enough?

Hi guys! I've been taking 10mg propranolol twice a day for a week now and not seeing much of a difference. Ive noticed that I haven't been shaking as much but that's about it. I'm still feeling very anxious all day every day especially when I need to leave the house. I'm very nervous about being on medication because I was on citalopram 40mg and the side effects were terrifying. They made me feel like I wasn't in my own body so that has put me off taking high doses of medication but so far the propranolol hasn't caused any side effects.

I ended up taking 3 x 10mg tablets today because I was feeling very anxious about leaving the house and still didn't see a difference.

Should I ask the doctor to up the dose?
    How much do you usually need to feel less anxious?

Any advice would be appreciated, thanks! X

Re: 10mg of propranolol not enough?

Everybody is different when it comes to meds. I was on propranolol from 2010 until last year and started off on 80mg reducing to 40mg towards the end. I now take a different beta blocker called Bisoprolol at 20mg which seem to suit me better and I take an extra 20 if needed. It's probably best to have a chat to the doctor about the dosage as 10mg is fairly low, and don't be scared of taking a higher dose if it's suggested. Unlike some of the heavy duty meds, beta blockers aren't mind altering drugs, and don't linger in your system so they can be taken as and when needed.

ISB x

I take 3 x 40mg of these everyday and have no side effects

Thank you for your replies. I think I need a higher dosage. Sorry if this sounds silly but would I need to make an appointment to ask for a higher dosage? I'm trying to avoid going as much as possible because I panic when I'm in small places and hate sitting in the waiting room at the doctors. I usually get a family member to sit in the waiting room and I sit outside until my name is called but things have happened and I don't have anybody that can go with me now. Do you think I'd be able to do it over the phone?

I was given 40 mg 3 x per day to start with but they lowered my blood pressure more (it is already low) so I take a smaller dose now. Looks like you need a higher dose though.
    When my anxiety is bad my doctors let me in the back door and I wait in a room on my own. You could tell them you have anxieties about the waiting room and they may arrange something for you.

10mg is very low, I used to take 80mg slow release tablets but they always made me very drowsy at work. Now on something more suited to me but sounds like it might need to go up.

Citilopram is hard to get on and can take in excess of 8 weeks to start working but when it does kick in its very good for most folk.

Thread Information