Thread: Are many of you overweight?

Are many of you overweight?

Docs believe I have IBS based on the colonoscopy test this autumn. Anyway; I am overweight; have an BMI of 35 which is a dangerously high level; and because of that I am struggeling with fear it is something much more dangerous. I google and find that this more dangerous things can be caused by obesity but struggle hard to find links saying that obesity can cause IBS. I have hoped to find it. However, I did find a few link showing that there mauy be links between abdominal fat and IBS. Well, that is good news, because it is around my lower abdomen the overweight mostly lies; or a "beer belly" as you may call it. I know of two other people diagnosed with IBS and they also have "beer bellys", not that they drink beer, but you know what I mean. You may also call it "pregnant look". So does this apply to others here; that you have a lot of abdominal fat and "beer bellys"? And is dieting improving the condition? Can it simply be cured by dieting?

Re: Are many of you overweight?

Probably yes, improved by dieting, but since you're over bmi 35 it could be wise to discuss with a professional dietist or doctor, and not experiment with grape fruit diets and what not.... Just my 2 cents.

Quote Originally Posted by randomforeigner View Post
    Probably yes, improved by dieting, but since you're over bmi 35 it could be wise to discuss with a professional dietist or doctor, and not experiment with grape fruit diets and what not.... Just my 2 cents.

Discuss with my doctor a diet? Or push for more cancer scanning? I have health anxiety so I have definetely been through that and they all say IBS.

Back to the main question: are many here also overweight with a problem of abdominal fat?

Being obese with abdominal fat isn't unusual. Genetics decide where we hold our fat. You could also have a bit of boating from IBS. IBS is very common syndrome and occurs at any weight. I was diagnosed while anorexic at BMI 16.7 15 years ago. I myself am not overweight as I'm bmi 20 but I do have some abdominal fat and I get bloated easily (I have Crohn's and ibs)

Quote Originally Posted by Capercrohnj View Post
    Being obese with abdominal fat isn't unusual. Genetics decide where we hold our fat. You could also have a bit of boating from IBS. IBS is very common syndrome and occurs at any weight. I was diagnosed while anorexic at BMI 16.7 15 years ago. I myself am not overweight as I'm bmi 20 but I do have some abdominal fat and I get bloated easily (I have Crohn's and ibs)
    Yes, but I was curious if it is possible that my abdo fat can be the cause of what they tell me is IBS. Forgive me, but I am very anxious these days or just the last 24 hours due to frightening news about a family member.

No it's ok. I understand as I have bad anxiety too! I worry about colorectal cancer even though I get colonoscopies every year and get a million blood tests, etc for Crohn's since it increases cancer risk.

always been thin or a little underweight.

my ibs makes me bloated too easily or stuck on the loo if I overeat

Thread Information