Thread: Scared of Vision Probs being caused by Prozac

Scared of Vision Probs being caused by Prozac

I am currently on 40mg of Prozac after switching from Seroxat. I am absolutely terrified that I am going to suffer vision loss from taking this med. I foolishly got hooked on googeling info on meds and have found several mentions of prozac causing blindness can anyone help me here is there any truth in this. I am worried sick constant anxiety and panic because of this.

I also have a horrible metallic taste in my mouth mainly my pallet and sometimes a sore tongue. Can this be being caused by the prozac it is driving me mad. Thanks Owain

Re: Scared of Vision Probs being caused by Prozac

I am on 30mg Fluoxetine (prozac) and I have very few side effects, tiredness being the main one. My GP who is excellent, has not mentioned any concern for blindness and he would have done. If in doubt ask your GP or chemist.

The problem with online advice is you dont know what else they are taking or doing.

Quote Originally Posted by owainm View Post
    I am currently on 40mg of Prozac after switching from Seroxat. I am absolutely terrified that I am going to suffer vision loss from taking this med. I foolishly got hooked on googeling info on meds and have found several mentions of prozac causing blindness can anyone help me here is there any truth in this. I am worried sick constant anxiety and panic because of this.

I also have a horrible metallic taste in my mouth mainly my pallet and sometimes a sore tongue. Can this be being caused by the prozac it is driving me mad. Thanks Owain
    I'm on 40mg of Prozac which I've been on for four months now. I've had no vision problems. The worse thing you can do is googeling information about problems medications can cause as this is only going to increase your panic and your anxiety. Try and lay off googeling. The metallic taste is also a side effect of the Prozac which hopefully should go away as the weeks go by.

Also, Prozac has been around for many years and if a side effect as bad as blindness was an issue I think they would have been stopped.

Hi there,
    I was taking prozac for 4 years and stopped for about a year and I have started again (currently starting week 4). I don't recall having vision problems previously, however this time around I do experience some blurred vision as well as difficulty focusing my eyes. However, I did undergo laser eye surgery in August so I just assumed it was a combination of the dry eyes from the procedure and medication. I have never heard of blindness as a result to taking this medication otherwise I would have never taken it in the first place.

Best of luck!

Thread Information