Thread: got to go for a mammergram

got to go for a mammergram

well got a letter from doc yesterday askin me to go for a routine mammergram any one els had one of these i no you have to have them now at 50 but so afraid to think there will be nothin there and then get told there is also been told they hurt abit as awell you no there seems to be something thrown at me evry week just latley why me i say to my self i have enough to cope with just thinkin i have all these things wrong with me my anxiety as been through the roof for some time and dont seem to beable to get it down not been sleeping to good for some time as well now any way bye for now trish

Re: got to go for a mammergram

Trish

I had one last year even though I am only 40. The reason being that I had a free over 40 healthcheck with BUPA and they said I could have one so I thought why not if it is free!

It doesn't hurt that much - you just get a bit squashed as you can imagine as they have to get the breast between the plates (or whatever they are called) to take the x-ray.

It is over in seconds.

Mine came back all clear as I expected as I have never felt any lumps etc.

Good luck with it - trust me it will be fine and nothing to worry about.

“Don't be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live.” - Natalie Babbitt

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

Hi Trish, I had one 2 years ago and it didnt hurt much at all , it was more uncomfortable than hurting. Like Nic said, they put your breast inbetween two plate type pads and grip your breast to keep it still whilst they take the xray, its all over really quick.
    I had a lump that needed investigating and it turned out I have Glandula swelling (harmless but painfull), I was 37 at the time and was really worried cos they called me up for a scan after the mamogram to double check and then they were happy with me, she was going to use a needle but decided it wasnt needed after all (phew).

mirry.

Oh by the way my aunti had her over 50 one done and got called back cos it wasnt clear enough. So dont worry if they call you back even .

hi trish..
    well im only 13 so ive not had one...but my mum had breast cancer when i was 5/6 and she has regular mamograms, just as a precaution, she says they hurt a little bit but there nothing to worry about, it hurts her more coz shes had cancer there and chemo. as long as you check your breasts for lumps and go straight to the doctors if you notice any changes, then you should be ok. theres only higher risk if someone in your family has had it and its genetic - but even then the risk isnt that great. my mum has had loads of mamograms where it wasnt clear enough so she had to get another one done..but shes been clear for 5/6 yrs.

good luck with the mamogram, hope it goes well.

if you need any more info/support just pm me.

thanks for all yr replies and reading what you have all said i smiled i thought well they will have a lot of fun trying to get mine between to plates they are so smal lol lsoii eyoug3ovoeouoo

hi just lke to say thanks for yr replies i did smile when i read how they have to put them between to plates they will have fun with me as mine are so small lol and i would like to say a special thanks to kly who sounds verey wise for her age bye for now trishxx

Hiya Trish,
    Glad all the replies made you smile
    Im not wise for my age, ive just had alot of experience and im kinda mature - when i wanna be lol.

Good Luck..Hope it goes well

Hello Trish !
    I had a routine mamogram done three weeks ago - and I had a letter confirming everyhting was OK last week. We have a mobile unit which comes and parks in the local supermarket car park, its really convenient. The lady radiographers are excellent ( its usually ladies who do it) si its not embarassing or anything. I can honestly say the squashing-boobs-between-plates doesn't hurt tho' I was uncomfortable on my breast bone because I'm pigeon chested ! All over in minutes.

Don't worry about this Trish - its a very reassuring process for we ladies of a cetain age !!!! whatever your size !!!! Go have it done and then forget about it. I'll be thinking of you just KNOWING YOU WILL BE FINE but also understanding that you may be feeling very apprehensive.

Be kind to yourself

Thread Information