Thread: Irrational fear I found a lump

Irrational fear I found a lump

I thought I felt a lump in my breast yesterday. Checked again, and many many many times after that and I'm pretty sure it's just one of the normal lumps and bumps in my breast. I can't shake the fear from my head though, and I can't stop checking. I thought this morning I felt one in the other breast.
    I did find a lump earlier this year. Had a mammogram on both breasts and all was clear. That was about 8 months ago.
    Please someone tell me I'm just being irrational and it's just the bad voices in my head taking over again. All I want to do is keep checking to make sure.
    How do I snap out of this??

Re: Irrational fear I found a lump

Quote Originally Posted by BrokenGirl View Post
    I thought I felt a lump in my breast yesterday. Checked again, and many many many times after that and I'm pretty sure it's just one of the normal lumps and bumps in my breast. I can't shake the fear from my head though, and I can't stop checking. I thought this morning I felt one in the other breast.
    I did find a lump earlier this year. Had a mammogram on both breasts and all was clear. That was about 8 months ago.
    Please someone tell me I'm just being irrational and it's just the bad voices in my head taking over again. All I want to do is keep checking to make sure.
    How do I snap out of this??
    Hi can't believe I've just read your post! I was going to post the same.

Just finished my period and was doing my breast check I've found a lump but not sure if it's normal breast tissue! I can't stop feeling about there now and I keep checking my other breast too!

I lost my Mum 9 years ago to breast cancer so that doesn't help.I have got a really important appointment with my little girl this afternoon so I am going to hold of phoning the Drs until than as I have decided I'm not going to get myself into a panic as I know how quick my Drs work they will have me in straight away and seen at the breast clinic as soon as.

My sister found a lump a few month back she was seen at the breast clinic 5 days after going to the Drs and that wasn't even on the 2 weeks guideline.

I will get this checked as I shy want another Xmas thinking I am really ill and going to leave my children.

Had mammogram 8 months ago!

Hi ladies,
    I'm just freaking out a bit at the moment. Yesterday I thought I felt a lump in my breast but when i checked again I was sure it was just normal breast tissue, lumps and bumps. But I still couldn't stop checking, and now I'm obsessing on my other breast. I can feel a lump in it but it feels the same as all the other lumps. It's just a little bit bigger than the rest so of course my HA is thinking all sorts now. (I'm not in a good HA place lately, as some of you might know)
    I did find a lump earlier this year, had a mammogram on both breasts and got the all clear. Should that in itself be enough to put my mind at ease? In other words, is 8 months a long time or not a long time for these sort of things?

Re: Had mammogram 8 months ago!

Here where I live, women your age - actually it doesn't start until you're 40 - get screening every 1.5 years, and from age 50 it's every 2 years (I'm now on the latter screening cycle myself). So 8 months ought to be close enough so as not to worry.

How are you this morning?

I'm not good. In an awful panic about the whole thing.
    Deep down there's a voice telling me I'm fine, it's nothing to worry about. But I just can't calm myself down, my thoughts are racing.
    Do you think having got the all clear 8 months ago that I should be fine now?
    How are you doing??

I am waiting to have an ultrasound on a moveable marble sized lump next to my right breast and am very scared at the moment. Young women (don't know how old you are) naturally have lumpy breasts. If you feel lumps in similar places on both breasts that is actually a good sign. In the US the recommendation is to start mammograms is 40 and the American Medical Association timeline is every two years though many doctors still recommend yearly, especially for dense breasts.

If you truly feel a lump you should call your doctor and have it checked out. Lumps can form anytime. Most lumps however are actually not cancer so hopefully that can calm you a little bit.

Take care,
    M

Thread Information