Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: How did you get over the ALS fear?

Re: How did you get over the ALS fear?

Quote Originally Posted by Hancock View Post
    We will hurt. We will ache. We will tremor and shake. Our bodies will lie to us, so will our minds. Eventually we all will get ill with something or another and chances are it won't be what we're so afraid of. Regardless suffering will come. That's the harsh reality. We have to understand that we won't live forever and that all we can do is utilize the time we have and be happy with what we got. Feel me peeps?
    Amen! Read my signature As we age, our bodies will betray us in some way shape or form. And the fact is, when something happens, not if, when... you'll deal with it.

And for those from AZ that deal with this ALS fear... here's a deterrent.... Do you want to become a "Stroud"?

Positive thoughts
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

Quote Originally Posted by Fishmanpa View Post
    Amen! Read my signature As we age, our bodies will betray us in some way shape or form. And the fact is, when something happens, not if, when... you'll deal with it.

And for those from AZ that deal with this ALS fear... here's a deterrent.... Do you want to become a "Stroud"?

Positive thoughts
    His name comes with so much infamy. I'm surprised he hasn't made his way here by now.

No one wants to be a stroud. God I felt so terrible for that man and his kid. Nothing consoled him.

Quote Originally Posted by Hancock View Post
    God I felt so terrible for that man and his kid. Nothing consoled him.
    That's my point. The ALS rabbit hole is such a nasty, narrow and unforgiving trap. That fear, more than others, seems to totally cripple it's victims more than the actual disease itself!

It seems nothing at all helps. One must take it upon themselves to stop the cycle before it does to you what it did to him.

Positive thoughts
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

update: I have been doing so much better. I think the zoloft has finally kicked in, I am keeping busy and finding enjoyment in things again. My logical mind is doing the thinking most of the times, although I still have my moments. At least I am over the hump so to speak. What helped:
    -time (its been three months since this began)
    -zoloft
    -klonopin
    -yoga
    -work (keeping me busy)
    -any "activity" (I am helping my partner remodel a house he bought)

I also got my EMG results and they were normal. That helped too

Thanks again for everyone's kind and encouraging words of advice.

Medication is magic when it comes to OCD. I don't typically overly recommend medication for people who may just be going through an anxious or depressive bout unless it's severe, but it seems for people who have obsessive tendencies or act compulsively and really can't stop, it's a life saver.

Medication helped me immensely the first time I went through a hypo bout with this specific fear, and I just got back on it again because OCD came back with a vengeance (both in the hypo sense and in the sense that I couldn't let people touch the palm of my hands, and I was washing them raw and paranoid to eat food).

I hope the medication continues to help you, it definitely puts reason into our heads. Let's logic win out over emotions.

Going thru this fear right now. Was colon cancer fear nov/dec of last year. Got a clean scope now back to my twitching all over and fearing ALS.

Quote Originally Posted by emmegee View Post

I've been wondering if on some level I am holding onto the fear because if I continue to be fearful that will somehow lessen my chances of it? Like, it would just be too ironic?? Conversely, if I logically tell myself that I'm being silly and of course I don't have ALS (and believe it); it will just sneak up on me and I won't be "prepared" (like you can ever be prepared.)

Not sure if that makes any sense...
    I know this thread is old, but this is EXACTLY how my mind is working right now ...

I needed this thread today. I’m
    Still struggling with this. I upped my Zoloft, which has helped tremendously, but man this rabbit hole is a tough one.

Quote Originally Posted by MoleHill View Post
    I needed this thread today. I’m
    Still struggling with this. I upped my Zoloft, which has helped tremendously, but man this rabbit hole is a tough one.
    I am sorry you are going through this too. It's a terrible and overwhelming fear

Just want you folks to know you aren't alone in this. This fear is tough and even though I have been doing better I still struggle with checking my hands and feet for atrophy every day. Stay strong and just keep living your life.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread Information