Thread: just had enough today

just had enough today

I haven't been feeling very good lately, constantly feeling i can't get enough air and its making me feel worn out. I know its anxiety coz i have had it many times before but all day everday its dragging me down. Was supposed to go for a country walk today but ended up staying in bed most of the day. Did get up this morning but just couldn't face another day being like this so i gave in. I've never taken to my bed before, i always manage to keep going so this has worried me. Ruined my hubbys Easter Sunday. Feel weak and ashamed of myself and scared.

Traceyxxx

Re: just had enough today

Hey, sorry to hear about your day but you have nothing to be ashamed about. It's not like you wanted to feel this way today.

I've been in a similar situation to you with the same feelings about not getting enough air and what I call a breathing obsession, and a feeling that I had to physically force and take every breath.

This is a nonsense because breathing is an automatic function as many wonderful people on this site told me, as well as doctors and books etc. But it got so bad I also had to take to bed instead of going out and it also ruined a holiday I was on, it was also preventing me from going to sleep at night.

I went to see my doctor and she put me on some pills called Amitriptyline, they are a muscle relaxant and when I took them at night they would send me off to sleep within a few minutes, unlike the times before when I might only get 1 or 2 hours sleep maximum.

With a combination of CBT it has then been a case of telling myself, hey you've been asleep for hours and you've carried on breathing fine so obviously you don't have to be aware of every breath you take. It then comes a case of doing active distraction during the day, and then as time goes on trying to catch yourself unawares.

I'm still some way down the journey and it's all work in progress but I hope the above helps and there are better days ahead.

Take care...

Hi Trace

Please dont give in hun ! you are not a failure at all !
    I remember been exactly like you, i spent days in bed and to be honest it only made me worse.
    I would have a word with your GP im sure he will be able to offer you some advice to help you get back on track again. Never give up Trace theres always a way out.
    Take alook at the How to Cope links too Trace that are situatted at the left hand side of this page, theres some good advice on breathing techniques that may help.

Sending you a HUG

Love
    Andrea
    xxxx

Tracey

I had those horrible feelings once as well. Horrible isn't it?

Certainly a good brisk walk would have helped and so will correct breathing.

Hope you feel better soon.

“Don't be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live.” - Natalie Babbitt

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

Hi

I am feeling exactly the same as you at the moment as regards breathing. I am completely obsessed with it and like you, I know it is just anxiety because I have had the same feelings many times before.

I have been feeling like this for about 6 weeks now and I can't really remember what snapped me out of it on previous occasions. I watch my breathing all the time and sigh and yawn a lot. This gives me palpitations as well. A lot of the time, I avoid doing things that will speed my heart up and make me feel out of breath - simple things like going for a walk or climbing the stairs. The thing is, this is exactly the sort of thing we should be doing. I really do understand how you are feeling. Please pm me if you want to talk more. I find that talking to someone with the same symptoms and sharing thoughts really does help me.

Hope you are feeling better soon.

Thanks for your support everyone. The breathing still out of whack.
    Have been like this many times before and its gone on for weeks and weeks.
    I'me just totally focused on it at the moment although a couple of times today was distracted and didn't notice it. Don't know how i got rid of it when i had it before. Trouble is when i'me like this it always feels like i'me going to panic coz i can't get enough air. My chest feels really tight where i've pulled the muscles. Was really worried about going to work today but it wasn't half as bad as i thought. Going to my Aunties on Saturday for a few days so want it gone by then. Its embarrassing keep taking deep breaths and yawning all the time although she's been through it herself so understands. Maybe the break will do me good and take my mind off it. Been doing a lot of positive self talk today and even though my breathing is making me really anxious have felt more positive today. Sorry to go on.
    Thanks all
    Traceyxxxx

Oh you sound much more positive in your last post - .
    Do try to get to your Aunts even if you aren't up to much when there.
    I can not get the breathing thing sussed out - drives me nuts.

Thread Information