Thread: Visitors.

Visitors.

Hi all,

I'm just wondering if anyone else with agoraphobia gets anxious about people visiting them at home?
    I feel anxious if someone is coming to visit me and it's horrible, I even feel this way with family members sometimes. I get the 'what if I panic thoughts'
    Obviously over Xmas we'll be having a lot of visitors and I just want to have a nice time and see people.

I find it odd that if my husband has a friend over that I can sit and chat and be totally calm. I think that maybe I feel pressure to be okay if it's someone that's coming to visit me.

Can anyone else relate?

X

Re: Visitors.

totally, I don`t know if I`m classed as agoraphobic technically but I have a very limited window of being able to tolerate people, even friends or family like you say.
    I`m worse if someone just drops in and once the thought `you need to b*gger off now` has crossed my mind, it just spirals!
    I know in my case over time I`ve just stopped expecting too much of myself, it used to feel almost like a performance that I had to get just right, but honestly people don`t expect that much of us. and if we panic we have all our coping mechanisms which in my case used to involve literally hiding in my own loo until I calmed down.

I wish I had better advice Marie but basically don`t expect miracles of yourself and if you`re feeling a bit off just let people know you`re not running on full power, hopefully they`ll take the hint

Thanks
    My therapist said that recently during my discharge follow up. I think I think when I have visitors that I have to be okay and calm, I need to remember that it doesn't actually matter if I panic or not! Everyone knows that I have panic attacks anyway so it really doesn't matter. Easier said than done haha.
    I spoke to my husband and he's said he's going to be here all through Xmas anyway so I won't be having all these people over alone and he's right.

I think the more I see people the less the anxiety will get overtime.

Thanks for your advice x

no problem at all, it also helps to remember that everyone has a wobbly day, or lack of sleep, or a bug the only difference is they see it for what it is, whereas we tend to think we`ve somehow failed so going one day at a time helps me a lot. if a day has gone utterly brown and smelly on me then I try to put it behind me and start fresh the next day.

and one last bit is to not argue with panic, it helped me a lot to think that yes, I might panic. if you keep thinking `I mustnt panic` it will set you up for a fall so try to think that ok panic is a possibility but you`ll cope and it will pass just like it`s done every other time

it takes a while but honestly you`ll get much better in time so hang on in there

Thanks

Yes, I have been trying acceptance and it has helped a lot, I've also recently started to practice mindfulness and I can see that if I keep that up that it will definitely have a positive impact on my life and relationship with my anxieties.

I've noticed that acceptance is definitely the best thing for anxiety, I've tried many other things and acceptance has helped the most!

Thread Information