Thread: Scared of my own GI system...

Scared of my own GI system...

Hi everyone,

I've recently been diagnosed with IBS after suffering with abdominal pains and constipation for six months. The thing is, I cannot seem to establish what makes it worse or find anything that makes it better. I feel discomfort and a 'stretched' feeling inside pretty much all the time, and then when I do have a BM, I have sharp spasmy pains afterwards and nausea sometimes so severe I have almost V (which is not good seeing as I have remnants of emetophobia - not fully cured by therapy).

I'm currently taking amitriptyline 20mg but am not convinced it's making a big difference (and could be contributing to this bout of C I'm experiencing right now?). It's got rid of the squeezy pains but I am still getting achy pains after BM.

I should say I am anxious almost all of the time and have barely left the house in months.

My diet isn't great and I don't eat enough (and I am only 97lbs now which worries me) but that is because there is a small part of me that thinks food could be playing a part and so I never know if I'm eating the right or wrong things ie I could be ingesting a trigger food. I know wheat bloats me but it doesn't cause pain. I never experience pain soon after eating. It's mainly after a BM which makes me think it is more of a mechanical (for want of a better word) issue if that makes sense?

Laxatives - movicol doesn't work and lactulose only works some of the time.

Any thoughts would be great. I am at my wits end.

Re: Scared of my own GI system...

Hey Em,

While I have never been diagnosed with IBS, I pretty much do have it. I don't like talking about my bowels, but put it this way... they're not good.

Three things really improved my issues though.
    Cutting out wheat and gluten entirely. Wow. My anxiety reduced by half, and my energy levels went through the roof. And my bowel issues reduced too....

Reducing alcohol. While I struggle to keep this up, when I reduce the amount of alcohol I consume, my bowels become a lot more regular.

Cutting out sugary/fizzy drink. Significantly reduced my anxiety.

Start analysing what works for you. You owe it to yourself.

Gut issues are tough. Anxiety plays a big part in creating physical issues in the gut, but physical issues in the gut also create anxiety.

I found I got the most improvement in my gut issues when I got the anxiety part better under control. As SLA said, eliminating possible trigger foods can help too. Light exercise also helps a lot - even just a short stroll can help get things moving more normally.

The big thing is you need to find something that helps you to break the cycle of anxiety-GI discomfort-anxiety. Easier said than done, I know.

Quote Originally Posted by Em792 View Post
    Hi everyone,

I've recently been diagnosed with IBS after suffering with abdominal pains and constipation for six months. The thing is, I cannot seem to establish what makes it worse or find anything that makes it better. I feel discomfort and a 'stretched' feeling inside pretty much all the time, and then when I do have a BM, I have sharp spasmy pains afterwards and nausea sometimes so severe I have almost V (which is not good seeing as I have remnants of emetophobia - not fully cured by therapy).

I'm currently taking amitriptyline 20mg but am not convinced it's making a big difference (and could be contributing to this bout of C I'm experiencing right now?). It's got rid of the squeezy pains but I am still getting achy pains after BM.

I should say I am anxious almost all of the time and have barely left the house in months.

My diet isn't great and I don't eat enough (and I am only 97lbs now which worries me) but that is because there is a small part of me that thinks food could be playing a part and so I never know if I'm eating the right or wrong things ie I could be ingesting a trigger food. I know wheat bloats me but it doesn't cause pain. I never experience pain soon after eating. It's mainly after a BM which makes me think it is more of a mechanical (for want of a better word) issue if that makes sense?

Laxatives - movicol doesn't work and lactulose only works some of the time.

Any thoughts would be great. I am at my wits end.
    I was on amitriptyline when my IBS started and let me tell you it does NOT work at 20mg. You might feel a lot better mood wise as I did, but whenever I take it now my bloating actually gets worse. I was put on 20mg Paxil and even at 10mg I feel a hell of a lot better. Amitriptyline usually works for harsher physical symptoms at higher doses so if you're concerned about the physical ramifications you'd do good to either ask your doctor about a higher dosage or switching to a different medication.

Quote Originally Posted by Lakme View Post
    I was on amitriptyline when my IBS started and let me tell you it does NOT work at 20mg. You might feel a lot better mood wise as I did, but whenever I take it now my bloating actually gets worse. I was put on 20mg Paxil and even at 10mg I feel a hell of a lot better. Amitriptyline usually works for harsher physical symptoms at higher doses so if you're concerned about the physical ramifications you'd do good to either ask your doctor about a higher dosage or switching to a different medication.
    Thanks so much everyone, and sorry for the late reply. I spoke to a doctor who said I could increase the dosage so I am going to try that. Is Paxil Sertraline? I wonder if that would be worth a try too if this higher dosage of amitriptyline doesn't work.

Thread Information