Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Worrying about cancer from CT scans and X rays?

Worrying about cancer from CT scans and X rays?

New member here and having a little anxiety. Currently a 22 year old male. First I had an abdominal X-ray when I was 20 for a possible hernia. Then a year later I had an abdominal ct scan, in the summer of 2015 when i was 21, for a possible ruptured spleen. Now just 2 months ago I had another abdominal X-Ray a year and 3 months after my Ct scan at the age of 22. These are the only x rays and ct scans I've had in past 10 years. Should I be worried and concerned that these tests will give me cancer like leukemia or lymphoma in the future? I'm worried I have screwed myself.

Re: Worrying about cancer from CT scans and X rays?

Quote Originally Posted by Ryank65 View Post
    Should I be worried and concerned that these tests will give me cancer like leukemia or lymphoma in the future? I'm worried I have screwed myself.
    For what it's worth... No. I'm a cancer survivor. Guess what they treated me with? Yep.... besides the chemo, I had radiation 5 days a week for 6 weeks and enough to make the skin on my neck peel off, burn my throat to a crisp and shut down my saliva glands for a couple of years. You've had the equivalent of a few days in the sun.

Positive thoughts
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

there is absolutely no scientific evidence at all that ct and X-ray scans increase
    risk of cancer,
    there's been a peer reviewed medical journal published in the American journal of clinical oncology in February this year of this subject
    Last edited by Stecakes; 16-12-16 at 00:16. Reason: missed word out

Quote Originally Posted by Stecakes View Post
    there is absolutely no scientific evidence at all that ct and X-ray scans increase
    risk of cancer,
    there's been a peer reviewed medical journal published in the American journal of clinical oncology in February this year of this subject
    Is this true? As I too worry about getting cancer from radiation from the mammograms I've had..

The abdomen isn't as sensitive as other tissue to radiation so I think you're be fine. 😊

If this is true than most people could get cancer in the future, people have dental xrays, scans everyday. I have had so many xrays dental in my life so for general every couple of years, and a few because of abcesses and when my 2nd teeth were coming from, and xray for the brace i needed.

Also had a number of mri scans because of having NF, I have had a few CT scans, abdominal MRI and spinal MRI because of abdominal pain and spianl MRI because of NF.

Plus one nuclear MRI to see whether a pouch could be seen, as one was possibly picked up for the camera up mybackside,

Quote Originally Posted by lily1 View Post
    Is this true? As I too worry about getting cancer from radiation from the mammograms I've had..

The abdomen isn't as sensitive as other tissue to radiation so I think you're be fine. 😊
    yes it is true , I would never make such a claim if it were not.
    I first read it in medicalnewstoday.
    the paper is by by professor James welsh , and published in the American journal of clinical oncology. it's an easy enough find.

Search all you want. There are no documented cases of cancer that were caused by x-rays, CT scans or the like. Like I said, I had enough radiation during my treatment that I glowed in the dark (kidding), but I'm still here

Positive thoughts
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

Can CT scan and X rays cause cancer?

New member here. Currently a 22 year old male. First I had an abdominal X-ray when I was 20 for a possible hernia. Then a year later I had an abdominal ct scan, in the summer of 2015 when i was 21, for a possible ruptured spleen. Now just 2 months ago I had another abdominal X-Ray a year and 3 months after my Ct scan at the age of 22. These are the only x rays and ct scans I've had in past 10 years. Should I be worried and concerned that these tests will give me cancer like leukemia or lymphoma in the future? I'm worried I have screwed myself by getting all this unnecessary radiation.

Re: Can CT scan and X rays cause cancer?

See your previous post.

http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=192047

Positive thoughts

Re: Can CT scan and X rays cause cancer?

Okay, first of so what's done is done and there is nothing you can do about it.

Yes radiation has been linked to cancer, but x-rays pose minimal risk and depending on your size, one CT scan is also not horrible. Small people are affected slightly more than larger people. Women more than men.be careful with radiation as much as you can, but tests that use radiation are necessary sometimes so I would not worry too much about it.

My naturopath told me that radiation puts free radicals in your body and there are many things you can do to help your body get rid of free radicals. Epsom salt baths are my NDs favorite method, but she also talked about eating foods high in antioxidants.

Google antioxidants. Print out a list and eat from the list as much as you can

Here is a good website (it doesn't talk about radiation, but it addresses how to rid the body of these pesky radicals

https://www.thenutritionalsource.com...free-radicals/

I am no expert, but I have had many chest X-rays due to a positive TB test and also 3 CT scans and I am a fairly slender 5'3" woman. I had many worries about this and have calmed them by realizing I can't do anything now but make sure I am only irradiated if absolutely necessary. I also received good advice from the ND.

Hope that helps!

M

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information