Thread: Doing this without medications...

Doing this without medications...

Some of you already know that my husband and I have decided to try to have a baby in the next year(ish). So that included tapering off my lexapro, which I did very slowly over the past 4-5 months, and getting used to regular old me.

Just this week I also came off the birth control pill, which I had been on for about 10 years now. So I am also not sure how that may or may not affect my moods as well, as it provided me with hormonal stability for so long.

So this has been a really difficult experience but I think it has the potential to also be very helpful in the long run. I have come off my meds before, but went back on about a year after because my anxiety and depression came back quite badly despite going to therapy to try to avoid meds. So the second time around I think I got to the point where I accepted that I could be on meds for as long as I need if it makes my life better. But having a baby is a different story.

It's been about 3 weeks since being totally off the lexapro. I'm noticing HA coming back, including noticing the urge to check for lumps, google things, and ask for reassurance. I am trying very hard to keep these behaviors from escalating by not giving in to the checking urges in the first place. I always find something to worry about when I check, and when I am on lexapro I don't even think to check my body for lumps and bumps. I have to remind myself that I will not drop dead if I don't check my body excessively. I think when I look at the cycle of my anxiety, this is the kicker that triggers the entire anxious cycle.

There have been a few times where I have felt nodes in my neck and shoulder (where I have chronic injury/tension) and worried but I am trying to reign it in and catch myself. I also googled a lot this past week because I had my annual pap smear and had to check myself as well there. The other difficulty I am having is a bit of depression spurring up. It's not severe, but there are a lot of days where I just do not want to get out of bed, dread going to work, and just want to hide. I mean I do have a stressful job, but when on the meds, it is easier to just go and do what I have to do.

I have decided to try getting back into journalling, maybe working on my diet, and exercise. I'm hoping that by focusing on doing positive things for myself it will take away the focus on negatives. I have a workbook for anxiety that I use with clients and actually took it home to use on myself.

Anyway I feel like I needed to have a plan in place somewhere to help me be accountable. Doing this without medications is really hard and it's been a battle for me a lot because my HA has a lot of OCD traits to it. I really don't want to pass this on to a child that I might have, as my mom had really bad HA and contributed to mine.

If anybody has any other suggestions or feedback, I'd appreciate it. If not, thanks for reading

Re: Doing this without medications...

You have a lot of knowledge about these issues and sometimes all the knowledge in the world doesn't help and this can ironically cause more anxiety and frustration..I would say don't give too much significance to coming off the Lexapro-you've withdrawn from it sensibly and in an appropriate time frame. Give yourself some respect and belief that having a baby will outweigh the believed need for medication to manage your HA/OCD/depression?

When you've been on meds for a while it's hard to think that you will be able to function without them but when a major decision has been made re a future pregnancy then you have no choice in the matter. I think it's important to be able to talk things through with your husband and to voice your fears. Would you be able to access professional support should you feel you needed it? Everything must seem quite daunting at present but the future is exciting for you-you just need the right support system in place and to realise that you are not on your own x

It does get frustrating ... I find myself feeling down about struggling with this even though my job and education is in how to treat mental health conditions. But I think I have made a lot of progress in recognizing that I am human and can struggle too. Doctors get sick, so ...

Yeah, I would probably find a therapist again if it got difficult. I have been talking to my husband about it, he is very supportive, but sometimes he thinks I am really saying I am not ready to move forward with having a child. That's really not the case, I think these would be fears I would have no matter when I decided to have a kid. So sometimes I back off and don't tell him as much because I don't want him to think I don't want this or am not ready.

I guess I am also kind of sad. I felt like a normal person for the most part when on the med and so have been disappointed to go back to who I was before. But I have made progress throughout the years and think I know myself well enough to navigate this.

Thanks for your support, Pulisa.

I share the HA/OCD issues with you and I'm not going to pretend that it's easy going through pregnancy with all the added hormonal upheavals as well but I think you would make a wonderful Mum as you've approached the decision with conscientiousness and maturity. You should think of what you can positively offer your potential baby, not what genetic legacy you could contribute? Your Mum had an influence in your HA but you have great insight into this and would avoid the pitfalls leading down the learned behaviour route.

Thank you, that is very kind of you to say I think I need to not get too ahead of myself too. I don't even know how long it will take to get pregnant, so one step at a time.

Of course you're right but it's a good idea to have some plans in place for "as and when"..

It is an exciting time and a new phase in your life though, however long it takes. Take things as they come and don't put added pressure on yourself? I know you have a very busy time at work so hopefully you'll be able to take some time off over the holidays to look after yourself and generally relax?

I have two three-day weekends during the holidays. We have the day after Christmas and day after New Years off due to them falling on holidays. Luckily we aren't traveling to see the in-laws, so I should be able to relax more. Today has been snowing, so I have no choice but to relax - other than doing the shoveling outside! I made some cookies that we are going to give the neighbors, as they helped me with the shoveling due to husband being away.

That's very kind of you-I'm sure the neighbours will really appreciate the cookies. We haven't had any snow yet here (South East England)-it's just damp and foggy today.

I'm glad you've got some planned breaks at home and don't have to travel anywhere-sounds ideal xx

Thread Information