Thread: Eye floater when eyes are open and closed

Eye floater when eyes are open and closed

Hi! I'm totally freaking out. I've been having vision issues (blurred vision at a distance) and I keep testing my vision and paying super close attention to it. I have floaters. The one that concerned me is a small black dot that moves across my field of vision as my eyes move. It appears to be in the left eye. Just had my eyes checked last week and everything looked great. I mentioned the floater to the doctor and she said it's fine.

But just now, I closed my eyes and noticed I can still see the floater. Is this sinister? I'm losing it. Has anyone noticed floaters with eyes closed? Please help!

Re: Eye floater when eyes are open and closed

I know what you are talking about. I used to have this symptom. It eventually went away. I think it's somehow a hypersensitivity thing. I used to see it every day but now I never see it now that a lot of my vision anxiety has gone away.
    It may be tough but you will be fine and come out on the other side of it

I'm also experiencing eye issues at the moment. Since I started obsessing over my vision I have had a lot of visual issues, like trouble focusing, things looking distorted, feeling like I can't see properly in certain lighting etc. Once you start paying attention to your vision, you don't know whether what you are seeing is real, or your mind playing tricks on you. I suppose the only way to stop it, is to stop paying attention to it, but that feels impossible when you are obsessing over it. I have had a black floater in my center vision for many years. When I think about it, I notice it but most of the time, I don't know it's there as my brain just filters it out.

Thank you both. I have calmed down some. I noticed that I can't see the floater when I'm in a pitch black room with my eyes closed. I can see it if I'm outside and the sun is out and I have my eyes closed.

Coming from someone with an actual eye condition that has caused floaters amomg other issues (its a rare condition I've had since birth - so no one worries they'll suddenly develop it!), floaters are SUPER normal and common even in healthy eyes. And yes, it is normal to see your floaters even with your eyes closed, especially if youre out in the sun or a well lit room.

If you just had an exam and everything looked fine, I think you have nothing to worry about. Anything serious involving floaters is not likely happen to someone with someone with normal eyes (unless with aging or through some kind of head/eye injury).

Rest easy! If anything suddenly changes see your eye doctor again but I really think you're fine.

Thread Information