Thread: Bleeding. I am honestly terrified :(

Bleeding. I am honestly terrified :(

Hello, I haven't been on here for a while but lately my anxiety and in particular health anxiety has been really bad.

I'm convinced something is very very wrong, I've looked through the threads on here and can see that bleeding between periods is quite common but as is the nature of anxiety, I'm sure that mine is different somehow and caused by something serious.

I felt last night like I had a bit of mild period cramps which I often do midway through my cycle, then this afternoon when wiping I saw a tiny amount of bright red blood. Hardly anything really. That was 2 hours ago, it's still going on now, very light and I've got a bit of cramping too, just like a period.

I'm def not pregnant. I've read that stress can cause this, however I've been stressed/depressed/anxious for a long time now, can it possibly cause it months down the line, surely it would happen straight away?

I have loads of health worries, I'm scared of life basically, at the moment. Every tiny symptom I fret about then study. I can disregard some things but there's no denying actual blood.

I have a massive fear of tests too, this has got worse over the past 6 months or so. Please don't tell me off and I'm too scared to put this but must, but I'm overdue for my smear. I'm so stupid and irresponsible not to get it done, don't know what's wrong with me

Please, if anyone replies don't go too hard on me as I already know I'm pathetic, just need coping strategies and how to get through until I can call the Drs. Am so scared, I feel sick and can't even drink anything.

Thank you

Re: Bleeding. I am honestly terrified :(

How old are you? This might be important, if you are very young or approaching menopause it's probably normal or at least something I wouldn't worry (read: don't worry) too much about.

Hi thanks for replying, I'm 36, be 37 in June. I did wonder that, my last 2 periods have been 31 days apart instead of the usual 28.

Have you had children recently? It could be something like that, hormones. Anyway, I've found it might (not from one month to the next, generally, but from five years to the next five years) vary between, say, 26 and 30... or even 25 and 31... If you're worried you might go and have a checkup, it might be a good idea to go regularly anyway albeit not so fun. Bordering on having a root canal work done by the dentist, if you ask me, at least that's how I feel about it.

Ha yes exactly, tbh I'd prefer the root canal I know I need to have a smear, it's weighing on my mind but I'm soo scared it's ridiculous.

I stupidly googled all the things that could be wrong, huge mistake. I'm trying to be logical though and not assume the worst, will phone GP in the morning an book.

Thank you for being calm, that approach really helps, someone I told earlier (friend) immediately panicked, said I'd been really silly to leave my smears this long and that I need to go urgently to see someone. While that all may be true, that kind of freakout really makes my anxiety 100 times worse.

So thank you

---------- Post added at 20:04 ---------- Previous post was at 20:04 ----------

Oh just to say no my one and only childbirth was 13 years ago!

The Guardian ran an article today, addressing the issue of what is normal period length. Don't ask me why I am doing here at 4.40 a.m. reposting the link on a web board, but anyway it says I was right in thinking that a varying length is perfectly OK. https://www.theguardian.com/lifeands...riods-answered

Ha oh cool thank you! That's great going to have a read now!

Ovulation bleeding, it sounds like. Some women cramp when they ovulate, and some women experience a tiny bit of spotting with ovulation, which occurs midway through the cycle.
    It's happened to me, but only once or twice.

Quote Originally Posted by GlassPinata View Post
    Ovulation bleeding, it sounds like. Some women cramp when they ovulate, and some women experience a tiny bit of spotting with ovulation, which occurs midway through the cycle.
    It's happened to me, but only once or twice.
    Thank you I appreciate your reply, and what you say does make a lot of sense, I had accepted that it was probably this and had stopped worrying as it didn't happen again.

However I'm now panicking like mad over something else - 2 days ago got my period which I was relieved about as it was due, and it all seemed normal. Usually I'm heavy for 2 days then its light flow for 2-3 days then stops. But it went to light flow after only a day and is now just light. I'm freaking out!

BUT I should say I've had very bad flu for a week and 2 days ago when bleeding started it was when my fever was extremely high, I had severe joint pain, headache, nausea, cough etc. I have been really unwell and still am though not as bad.

Can flu affect the actual period do you know? To anyone, not specifically GlassPinata!

Thread Information