Thread: What exactly is GAD?

What exactly is GAD?

I've always known some things about social anxiety, health anxiety, and the like. But GAD ... I can't quite wrap my head around it. I've researched, I've read, etc, but I'm still not sure how to define it. Can it be defined specifically?

I've had issues with anxiety for many years (29 now). I finally saw a doc in '15 for a complete physical. All was well, just some minor issues requiring positive lifestyle changes. No biggie. Health anxiety is significantly better, despite some occasional and short lasting cardiac fears. Aside from health anxiety (began six or so years ago) I also show some signs of social anxiety, which I've been actively working on.

After my physical last year, and being completely open with my doc, I was diagnosed with GAD. That was a bit if a surprise, as I expected a more specific diagnosis such as health or social anxiety. I accept that GAD may indeed be what I have, but WHY is it GAD and not a different type? What makes it so?

Just curious. I'm willing to read articles and other factual materials to wrap my head around it if you have some to share. Thanks!

Re: What exactly is GAD?

WHO define it as:

F41.1 Generalized anxiety disorder
    Anxiety that is generalized and persistent but not restricted to, or even strongly predominating in, any particular environmental circumstances (i.e. it is "free-floating"). The dominant symptoms are variable but include complaints of persistent nervousness, trembling, muscular tensions, sweating, lightheadedness, palpitations, dizziness, and epigastric discomfort. Fears that the patient or a relative will shortly become ill or have an accident are often expressed.

Anxiety:
    neurosis
    reaction
    state
    Excl.:
    neurasthenia (F48.0)

It's not just what it is as what it isn't though. You have to rule out the many other anxiety disorders too based on symptoms/behaviours or you end up with a GAD catch all, which is something that happens over here by GP's who are less experienced in mental health.

A good example of this problem is intrusive thoughts. These are defined with OCD and forms of depression however they are experienced by all human beings. So, whether they pull you towards one of these disorders depends on their impact and other matching symptoms. Otherwise, you could have GAD or any other mental health problem and have some lesser impacting issue of intrusive thoughts. OCD especially considers impact on your life when diagnosing since OCD behaviours can be observed in a large proportion of the population, the majority not having mental health issues.

I think that definition is too narrow. My symptoms are:
    Constantly feel the world is caving in
    Cannot concentrate
    Waves of hysteria/ doom
    Worrying that I will never get better
    Constant emotion and thought watching
    Feeling not connected with the world

The name itself implies the answer is somewhat ambiguous. "General" Anxiety Disorder. It can and does encompass many variations and combinations of mental illness. Think about it, if someone asks you how you are and you answer "Generally, pretty good", it leaves a lot open to interpretation and clarification.

A mental health professional (psychologist/psychiatrist) is best at defining the specific aspects of your illness.

Positive thoughts
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

Quote Originally Posted by Jo1970 View Post
    I think that definition is too narrow. My symptoms are:
    Constantly feel the world is caving in
    Cannot concentrate
    Waves of hysteria/ doom
    Worrying that I will never get better
    Constant emotion and thought watching
    Feeling not connected with the world
    If you mean the WHO one, yes it is compared to what you might read on an anxiety site. It's what they use for diagnosis but alongside all the other disorders to help refine.

Everything you've said there can be observed in people with depression, OCD, etc, probably all of them and many more complex mental health disorders.

I think the NHS caveat it with a 6 month timeframe but that seems pretty irrelevant when the other disorders don't need that and why wait to treat someone?

I think GAD can be a bit of a catchall.

Got it, makes sense. Thanks! Sorry, didn't realize I had replies here.

Quote Originally Posted by bin tenn View Post
    Got it, makes sense. Thanks! Sorry, didn't realize I had replies here.
    Just noticed you have joined from AZ, so if it helps until you learn your way around the forum, if you click on subscribe inside the thread it will take you to an option to set an alert for updates to your thread.

Thread Information