Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Diazepam? Buspar?

Re: Diazepam? Buspar?

I've been on 5mg Diazepam twice daily for about 3 yrs now with no probs.
    Great stuff if you resist the urge to increase the dose.
    Any Dr that prescribes 40mg/day needs help in my opinion.
    Phill

Don't be afraid that your life will end, be afraid that it will never begin.

Was initially on 10mg of Buspar for 2 weeks, then upped to 30mg (10 3x day) for 4 weeks. Just made me feel weird and didn't really provide the relief for my GAD I was looking for. Stopped taking it after 6 weeks.

After seeing an understanding doc, took 5mg of Diazepam, and it kicked in straight away and all was well. Benzos and Diazepam in particular are highly addictive in as little as 2 weeks.

As my doc saw Benzos as a longer term treatment for me I only had Diazpam for a couple of days. I am now on Chlorodiazepoxide (another benzo) 30mg at bedtime and 10mg in the morning. Since taking this (for the last 6 weeks) I have had no anxiety at all - its actually been good being me again.

Apparantly its one of the easier ones to come off too, and has less side effects. In my case it has no side effects at all - no tiredness, no feeling like a zombie, no anything really.

So to cut a long story short (if thats now possible) if its short term relief for 2 weeks or less you are looking for than Diazepam will certainly provide that. If its something longer, then you should consult with your doctor about taking a low dose of each and gradually transfer from one to the other.

Krakers.

Thanks to everyone who has replied here, it has been a great help and very informative. My problem now, is trying to get a damn appointment with my doctor!!!! I've been told I can't see him until the 20th and I don't want to see a locum who knows nothing about me. Ah well, if life was easy I wouldn't be here, I guess!!!!!!!!

"Recovery lies in the places and experiences you fear....."

I could no more wait 10 days to see a doc than i could fly to the moon recently when i had a bad episode of Pmt. So i rang my surgery & the doc rang me back. Try that? You cant be expected to wait all those days if you're struggling. I wont go into detail about my state of mind the previous night but he didnt hesitate to leave me a script for Dizapam at reception that day. If you are in a bad way any doctor should always be available to you (during the day)surely?
    xxx

does anyone know if 5mgs of buspar everyother day will help,
    i have read that some of you are on upto 30mgs per day,

im just wondering if my dose will be at all helpful?

thanks

Hi Airwolf,
    I'm no doc myself-I'm sure your doc knows what he's doing but it does seem to me an incredibly low dose-I started on 10mg a day, then went up to 15mg but I know you can take 30mg a day. They did help quite a bit-not brilliant, but they took the edge of the adrenalin rushes/constant agitation. I was taking them alongside other medication though. Although I have taken diazepam in emergencies, I would much rather be on Buspar. It is quite slow in taking effect though -about 4-6 weeks.

Ness, that is such a high dose that you take. !!!!!!!

I am upping Buspar from 10mg to 15mg twice a day starting tomorrow per my dr. We;ll see how it goes.

Just to let you all know I managed to see a doctor today (after an hour's wait, lovely when your feeling edgy) I've been given a prescription for 12 x 2mg Diazepam on the understanding I go back to see my own doctor to talk about long term medication. I'm going to try half of a tab this evening because I am a bit of a baby with medication. I'm hoping by using them next week when I'm at my worst, I can get myself back into work......wish me luck!!!

"Recovery lies in the places and experiences you fear....."

Good luck to you!!!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information