Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Zopiclone withdrawal?

Zopiclone withdrawal?

Hi All

I have been taking Zopiclone regularly for getting on for 2 years I think. At first I found the 7.5mg dose beneficial, but ignoring my doctor's advice to only use the medication 2-3 times a week at most I soon found my body had developed tolerance for this dose and so I doubled it.

Now, I wouldn't want to encourage anyone to do what I did next because believe me I am now in a worse state than ever, but over the following months I increased the dose more and more because the pills were not helping much at the normal dose any longer.

When I was in hospital the doctor cut my dose to 3.75mg at first and I had 2 weeks when I didn't sleep at all and finally it was increased back to 7.5mg, which helped to a degree but I still didn't sleep much as I'd be abusing it so much at home.

Finally the psychiatrist at the eating disorder unit wanted me off the Zopiclone and to put me on Zispin (a tricyclic antidepressant) instread. However, I read the side effects and researched experiences of others on this medication and discovered weight gain and increased appetite were very likely. So, I refused the Zispin and they stopped my Zopiclone and I experienced severe insomnia again.

As soon as I got home I started taking it again.

Now I am at the stage where even the high dose I take (don't ask where I get it) only gives me 2 hours sleep at most and I want to be able to get off it completely. However, my other mental and physical health issues mean I don't want to be awake 24 hours a day.

Sorry for the long post. I wanted to ask if anyone has any suggestions to make withdrawal easier. I cannot cope with the insomnia but I cannot live on Zopiclone for the rest of my life. I have even resorted recently to taking different sleep medication on top of the Zopiclone.

Has anyone managed to successfully withdraw from Zopiclone and if so do you sleep for a decent number of hours now?

Thanks for reading this far and for any suggestions. I have already searched for previous posts but couldn't find any with my particular circumstances.

Karen

Re: Zopiclone withdrawal?

Hi Karen

Did you mean to close this thread?

“Don't be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live.” - Natalie Babbitt

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

Re-opened for you now mate.

People can reply now.

“Don't be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live.” - Natalie Babbitt

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

Thanks Nic

Karen xx

I have a similar story Karen.

I've been taking 7.5mgs a night for the last 8 months. Without my doc telling me, I was taking 2 per night at one point. She didn't seem too concerned about it, but after a recent od, I now only get prescribed 7 per week.

They do allow me to get some sleep as compared to none, but I haven't had a proper full nights sleep without waking up for months.

I know at some point I'm going to have to stop taking them as they don't really help much any more. But not looking forward to that either.

From what I've read the withdrawal isn't too bad compared to some other sleeping tablets like benzos, but I can imagine not getting much sleep for a few weeks till the withdrawal eases. I guess the best way would be to slowly reduce the dose.

Jim

HI Karen, I took zopiclone on and off for a couple of years. I've always found when my anxiety is high I don't sleep. When it's under control I do. Not sure what this means but suspect that if you deal with other issues the insomnia will pass. Easy to say I know. I'm also on Zispin. It does tend to increase appetite at first but when it settles down it's just a damned good antidepressant with a sedative which really helps me. Good luck in whatever you decide

Thanks Jim and Jo

Jim - I too think cutting down is probably the most sensible way but I cannot cope with the reality of getting no sleep at the moment with too many other problems to deal with.

Jo - I have suffered with insomnia for several years and it is a well known side effect of anorexia. I put up with hardly any sleep for many months before finally taking sleeping pills but I've needed to gradually increase the dose in order to get any sleep at all.

Quote Originally Posted by jo61 View Post
    I'm also on Zispin. It does tend to increase appetite at first but when it settles down it's just a damned good antidepressant with a sedative which really helps me.
    When I was in hospital on an eating disorder unit the psychiatrist wanted me to swap Zopiclone for Zispin but I was very suspicious when I read a very common side effect is increased appetite and weight gain - too much coincidence when being treated for anorexia. So I refused and don't want to risk anything that will cause weight gain.

I cannot keep increasing the dose of Zopiclone I take either though. It is a big dilemma

Karen x

Can't give much advice on getting off em, as I've only recently been introduced to them (6 weeks). I have a sleep disorder that is so unpredicatable its unreal. I took 2 Zops night before last and slept for 17 hours. Took 2 last night and was awake in 5 hours - hence me sat here typing now.

As far as I understand it Zopiclone has a very short half life and is more to get you off to sleep than keep you asleep. I have been known to take 2 (7.5mg) wake up 4 hours later and tak another 2. Now thats not what the docs recomend or intended (and if I told him I'd probably be in big trouble). Anywas my point is its better to do that than go taking a huge handful of these pills hoping they'll put you out for the night - they won't.

What worked extremely successfully for me in the past was Tempazepam (a Benzo). Not only does it let you drift off to sleep, but it keeps you asleep for 8 - 12ish hours (depending on how quickly your body eliminates it).

They are only a short term solution though, as usually after around 4 weeks, a tollerence builds and they just stop working - yes like any Benzo they are addictive too. My initial dose was 20mg which worked like a charm. I was on them for 3 months, and when I went back to see my doc in month 4 asked him not to prescribe again for now tyvm. I'd upped my dose as high as 80mg myself and just wasn't getting the same initial effect. I came off of them with no side effects at all.

My sleep is still all over the place, but I'm trying to get it back to normal. It all went haywire when I was prescribed a high dose of Mitrazapine which kept me asleep for 17 hours a day. Worked well as an anxiolytic, but didn't give me a normal life.

Hopefully the zops and a proper bedtime routine might help me get this sorted (fingers crossed).

One thing I will say about zops though is I've had 2 different types from chemists. Not sure if its just me, but the little round one with the deep scores in them don't seem a patch on the rugby ball shaped ones. I know they're meant to be the same, but last time I was given the round ones by the chemist I made a fuss and got the rugby ball shaped ones instead.

Krakers.

I'm absolutely terrified of becoming addicted to my sleeping pills, Zopiclone and although I've been on them in the past and come off them after 6-7 weeks, by gradually reducing the dose. I've been on them for 5 weeks now continuously. I had managed to ge down to 1/4 of a tablet a night but then had a huge panic when i didn't take any the other night and took 4 last night with no effect! Now I'm scared I'm back at square one. Please give me advice and tell me these pills aren't that bad.

It's interesting this thread has come up again as I think I'm having a problem with zopiclone again.

I took it solidly every night 7.5mgs and occasionally 15mgs for many months. Eventually as you guys found, I became tolerant to them quite quickly and they weren't really helping me sleep.

I then started another medication Quetiapine, which is an anti-psychotic. It has sedative properties and I found that they initially helped me sleep very well so I didn't take the zopiclone. I was absolutely fine and didn't have any problems stopping suddenly at all.

Slowly the sedative side effects of the quetiapine have worn off and I started taking the occasional 7.5mgs again. Probably 1 every 2-3 days. And occasionally 15mgs.

I've now gone onto another AD Trazodone, which has sedative side effects. I stopped taking the zopiclone and after a week my anxiety and panic suddenly went into overdrive. I didn't initially associate this with the zopiclone, but it makes sense. The doc has suggested taking a small dose occasionally to wean myself off them.

I also wonder how you others are getting on with them now? Karen I especially wonder for you as 15mgs is the maximum dose and I know you were taking more and more. The side effects of zopiclone are mainly memory loss and fluid retention, etc. Even at 15mgs I have trouble passing urine the next day and remember absolutely nothing of the night if I am awake. I know these are some of your probs Karen, I wondered if you are still taking them?

Also Krakers, how's things going for you?

Jim

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information