Thread: Voice Recognition Software

Voice Recognition Software

Hi All

This isn't strictly related to the forum and I wasn't sure where to post.

However, some of you might know that I suffer from repetitive strain injury (RSI) and have done for a number of years. This means typing is often painful and sometimes I don't reply to as many posts or write much at all due to this.

When I first developed the condition I tried IBM Via Voice software but it was very slow and inaccurate - but this was almost 10 years ago now.

I've been considering trying something similar again and wondered how much the programs have improved. From my Google search it appears that Dragon Preferred version 9 is the most highly rated but wondered whether anyone had any knowledge of actually using any of these softwares or whether it is worth considering again.

Thanks in advance for any input anyone might have.

Karen

Re: Voice Recognition Software

Hi Karen

Of course it is relevant to here as some others may want to use it as well

I used to use Dragon Dictate - superb piece of software.

Mine is quite old now so I bet the new Dragon is even better.

You do need to spend some time training it with your voice (and correcting it when it goes wrong) but once you have done that it is very good.

I got a portable recorder with mine so I could record stuff whilst I was out and then translate that back to text.

I would recommend the Dragon one certainly.

“Don't be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live.” - Natalie Babbitt

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

Thank you Nic.

It is helpful to get a personal opinion rather than just reading the online reviews. I'd be able to get a lot more done with something like this.

The Dragon version 9 also says it need minimal 'training'. I'm seriously considering getting this.

Karen xx

Karen

It does need minimal training and as long as you correct it as it makes mistakes it learns them and so gets better and better!

I am not sure if there is an add-in for forums though? I used to only use it with Word and it worked with all the major, popular software packages and email etc.

Does it mention that it will work with any application?

“Don't be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live.” - Natalie Babbitt

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

Hi Nic

The one I found was Dragon 9 which said it can be used in most applications, including forums and the internet. It is also possible to perform tasks such as open programs etc.

Hopefully I would be able to use it here.

Karen xx

I found this information:

What Dragon NaturallySpeaking Version 9 can do:

Dragon allows you to dictate directly into most applications within Microsoft windows 2000/XP.

Instead of using the keyboard to produce text you can simply speak in the text, it will then appear in front of you in the document as normal text.

You can dictate into Microsoft Word, e-mail programs including Outlook, Internet Explorer including chat rooms and internet forums). Generally speaking, anywhere you normally type text you can actually speak the text directly in. There are some exceptions but that is the basic idea. It is very effective and efficient.

At any point keyboard and mouse input will override speech input. Dragon does not create special documents or special text. It is as if you type it using the keyboard and you save the documents as per normal.

What else can Dragon do ?

Many applications have special commands that make Dragon easy-to-use example Microsoft Word and Internet Explorer. This means that Dragon can be used not only for dictating text but for actually operating your computer by voice. For example you can open and close documents, minimise and maximise windows, switch between programs, bold and underline text, insert tables, move the mouse around and a vast number of additional things.

Hope this helps.

Karen xx

Sounds good to me!

If you want to borrow my dragon dictate to try it out you can but it is quite old so may not be as good as the latest one.

I guess it is expensive isn't it?

Any for sale on ebay?

Hi Nic

Thanks for the offer. I tried the IBM via voice years ago and that was slow.

I've looked on Ebay and also the PC World website who have a half price offer right now. It is £80 but well worth it if it makes things much easier for me.

I'm currently doing an Open University course that requires a lot of typing and might be able to get a grant towards it through the disability scheme.

Karen xx

Thread Information