Thread: cancer, Gerd, cardiovascular, muscular or just anxiety and stress? ...HELP!

Question cancer, Gerd, cardiovascular, muscular or just anxiety and stress? ...HELP!

Hi I'm new here!
    I'm 21 years old, ex smoker (only smoked for 2 years now use an
    e-cig ), don't drink alcohol, classed as obese 😕.
    I suffer from chronic indigestion and GERD have done for the past year

I've been having some issues with my mouth, neck and throat area recently that have caused a rise in anxiety.

I suffer greatly from health anxiety and panick dissorder so every little pain is a death sentence!
    These are my symptoms:
    Stabbing pain in front of throat and neck
    Swollen gland on the left hand side(on and off for at least 8 months)
    Pain in jaw
    Left sided ear and face pain
    An unusual swelling and strange sensation under tongue (it feels swollen and different to the right hand side but doesn't look any different if that makes any sense ? )
    Numbness and tingling in tongue and mouth again mainly on the left hand side.

As well as these head and neck issues I have a lot of problems with my left shoulder and upper back including:
    pain
    Muscle spasms
    knotted muscles
    Tingling pins and needles in left arm
    I also get a lot of left sided chest pain!

My Dr has tried his best to reassure me that all of this is stress and anxiety and the likely hood of it being cancer, cardiovascular or anything other than muscle tension, anxiety and stress related are slim to none ...but I can't shake the worry that maybe they've missed something !

I've had multiple ecg's(including a 24 hour monitor), blood tests (including have to get them done every 3-6 months for hormone levels and liver and kidney function etc), I've even had an endoscopy!

I'm just worried ...I guess!

Other than those symptoms and just generally feeling a bit run down there's nothing else to rreport, no sudden weight loss, no un explained appetite changes etc

Can anyone shed some light for me or at least attempt to put my mind at ease a little ?

Thanks in advance

Re: cancer, Gerd, cardiovascular, muscular or just anxiety and stress? ...HELP!

Hello there Papawolf.
    I'm a sufferer of silent reflux and when I was 9 years old I had a million heart tests, it always seemed to skip beats, it went soo fast sometimes I thought it would just stop, and I always felt really dizzy and couldn't get a full breath in. I was naive and didn't think much of it but my parents panicked to death, many ECGs, blood tests, and even a 24 hour monitor later they discovered nothing was wrong, which was when the heart doctor drew me a picture of a bomb and explained that when things got a little scary or tough it would bottle up inside and eventually explode (its quite funny I still have the drawing on my fridge to this day ��) that was the first time I learned about stress and I was finally diagnosed with anxiety late last year, and yep you guessed it all those "major health issues" were thanks to my anxiety and panic attacks I never knew i was having. your symptoms certainly sound irritating and I'm really sorry to hear you have them but if your doctor reckons there's a slim chance you have anything scary and you've had many tests I'd say you're in the clear
    (also the throat pain and spasms could be laryngospasms or something else but either way I get that now and then and its worse when I have had anxiety or acid so I'm seeing the link there, its annoying but not life threatening, I know how hard it is to remain calm in these situations but it certainly sounds like you've on the clear especially as your doctor agrees x

Thank you for your speedy reply!
    I do find that the head and neck pains and symptoms are at their worst when I'm highly aanxious/ tense or my acid reflux is playing up :/
    It just still doesn't make sense to me how something as simple as anxiety can cause such complex and seemingly un explainable symptoms O.o I've had anxiety since I was a child (iive always been a worrier) and I'm still not used to it!
    These symptoms have only started over the past year or so, and they're quite frightening to say the least ...iI've very been taken to A&e around 12 times in the last 8 months convinced I was having a heart attack �� ...this year is the first time I've experienced the full force and every symptom of panic dissorder and anxiety !

I'm currently house bound because of my anxiety �� I'm stuck in a rutt at the moment tbh and all of these symptoms aren't helping at all tbh

I know what that's like I was in the similar rut this time last year, I never slept until 3 am and when I did I would wake up at 5 and wouldn't go back off until 7 where I'd then sleep till 1 pm, I lived off microwave burgers and junk food that was easy to make and I never left the house, my side pains have taken me to hospital a million times where I thought it was appendicitis and it turned out not to be, it really does suck but I promise it will start getting better, if you ever need someone to talk to you can always send me a private message I'm happy to try and help or even just listen x

Quote Originally Posted by Papawolf View Post
    Hi I'm new here!
    I'm 21 years old, ex smoker (only smoked for 2 years now use an
    e-cig ), don't drink alcohol, classed as obese 😕.
    I suffer from chronic indigestion and GERD have done for the past year

I've been having some issues with my mouth, neck and throat area recently that have caused a rise in anxiety.

I suffer greatly from health anxiety and panick dissorder so every little pain is a death sentence!
    These are my symptoms:
    Stabbing pain in front of throat and neck
    Swollen gland on the left hand side(on and off for at least 8 months)
    Pain in jaw
    Left sided ear and face pain
    An unusual swelling and strange sensation under tongue (it feels swollen and different to the right hand side but doesn't look any different if that makes any sense ? )
    Numbness and tingling in tongue and mouth again mainly on the left hand side.

As well as these head and neck issues I have a lot of problems with my left shoulder and upper back including:
    pain
    Muscle spasms
    knotted muscles
    Tingling pins and needles in left arm
    I also get a lot of left sided chest pain!

My Dr has tried his best to reassure me that all of this is stress and anxiety and the likely hood of it being cancer, cardiovascular or anything other than muscle tension, anxiety and stress related are slim to none ...but I can't shake the worry that maybe they've missed something !

I've had multiple ecg's(including a 24 hour monitor), blood tests (including have to get them done every 3-6 months for hormone levels and liver and kidney function etc), I've even had an endoscopy!

I'm just worried ...I guess!

Other than those symptoms and just generally feeling a bit run down there's nothing else to rreport, no sudden weight loss, no un explained appetite changes etc

Can anyone shed some light for me or at least attempt to put my mind at ease a little ?

Thanks in advance
    Hello..I seem to have similar symptoms. At first I thought it was gerd/acid reflux. Now I'm not so sure. I get sharp pains in chest, a burning feeling in front of throat, sometimes with stabbing pain in throat. Always have a burning tongue and feel like my jaw is tense all the time. Of course I'm always worried its something serious. Guess its just anxiety

Thread Information